• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Red Alert Light in shop

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
This is a unique and specific one that won't apply to many but maybe help at least one. My wife has limited mobility and other chronic health issues. My shop is detached from the house. If she needs me she calls or texts but there are times when I just don't hear the phone or see the text. I put an amazon alexa in the shop and bought some of the smart plugs that communicate with it. I put the smart plug on a big red light bulb in center of my shop on top of my bandsaw. If you say "alexa, turn on lamp" the red light comes on and I can see or notice it easily no matter what I'm doing. It's a backup for if I don't answer my phone and she really needs help. I considered ear buds and bluetooth etc but it's something I have to remember to connect and put on, etc. And I don't like ear buds. This setup doesn't depend on me remembering.

Good idea. My phone is my pocket most of the time and still don't feel the vibrate or hear the ring.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Great idea!
Question, does alexa need to be connected to the internet, or a wifi system/internet?
Our phones are our hot-spots, it needs turned on (the app). This would be perfect for our situation also but we don't have hard-line internet/wifi.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Yes. I have wifi in the shop and in the house so doesn't need to be hardwired. I assume it could work over a phone hotspot as well. Not sure it would know the difference.

So alexa can't work on it's own? ie no wifi or internet? I don't have wifi set-up, probably won't as wifi needs an internet connection. It would be great if the unit itself would *talk* to those plug-receivers, I would jump on it as it would be perfect for our situation too!

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Yes it does. There are other remote on/off options depending on your distance. At the local HW store or online you can get remotes for Christmas lights, etc that use a small remote to turn them on and off. I have one for some outside lights on our porch. Not sure of the distance they will go and requires the user to have the small remote with them. They're inexpensive.

Thanks! Might have to look at them next trip to town. Distance would be about 80 ft, dropping down one level. I'll take a look on amazon afterbit too.

Thanks for sharing. I have an Alexa in my shop which is about 30 feet from house that I use as an intercom so my wife can talk to me if I don’t hear my phone. Adding this feature will help, also, might be good safety feature to have in reverse. If you get hurt or need help in shop would be great to be able to tell Alexa to turn on device in house to alert wife.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
First, Alexa uses wifi to communicate. I don’t thank there is an Amazon Echo which can be hard wired.

As for the plugs, I highly recommend the Wemo ones. I’ve tried some off-brand ones and they eventually failed or became otherwise unusable. My Wemo plugs have lasted over 10 yrs.

Rich

First, Alexa uses wifi to communicate. I don’t thank there is an Amazon Echo which can be hard wired.

As for the plugs, I highly recommend the Wemo ones. I’ve tried some off-brand ones and they eventually failed or became otherwise unusable. My Wemo plugs have lasted over 10 yrs.

Rich
You are right and wrong. Alexa needs wifi for initial setup. Once set up it can easily operate between drives and devices via Bluetooth without wifi. And you can also use your hotspots or phones as your initial wifi setup. Just Google for the work around.

That's a slick system you put together, Randy. My shop is detached from the house as well. Long before this high tech, I tried a simple wireless doorbell kit, but it wouldn't reach the distance between house and shop. Cell phones seem to cover our bases.

Steve.

Randy, great idea!!
I have been looking for something to be used for this. I have a safety hook up at the 2 doors in my shop, in case someone comes in while machines are running. It also lights a lamp and has a buzzer come on, so I can shut down before they approach, works great....but i do need communication with the house from time to time. Appreciate the help!
Blessings, Tom

Back