• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic PM2014 Reviews?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My 3520A will start shaking at 640rpm with a blank that size and out of balance. I'm guessing the floor may not be flat or the legs don't have even pressure but still that's a good size piece and Oak weights quite a bit.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hi Mark,
I'll post more comments on the PM2014 after I've used it awhile but here are some initial thoughts:

How do you plan to use it? I thought that I would want to do small and medium sized items (maybe some spindles and end table legs), but nothing super long, meaning I ruled out full sized lathes.

Reasons I chose the 2014 were 1) versatility (just picked up the bed extension for longer items and for the ability to turn larger bowls off the end), 2. company reputation/quality of equipment build, and 3. it was priced at a point I could afford. I first looked at the Jet 1221VS which I believe to be a nice machine, but when I increased my budget, I felt that the PM2014 was a better long-term match. We'll see how that pans out, but so far very impressed with how solid this thing is. Nothing cheap about it imo).

I'm also putting together a makeshift mobility kit and can let you know how that works out, as well. GRJenson said above that he placed his on a livestock pen mat which really helped stabilize it. If mine moves too much with the mobility kit, I could see grabbing one of those mats as I've used them in other situations.

Thanks Jeff. I was concerned about the comments on the PM skating on the floor. I'd do the same, put a mat under it. In my case we have these restaurant use, heavy-duty anti-fatigue mats. They're thick and indestructible. And don't move at all.

I'm going to be doing small bowls - probably a max of 10" and some segmented stuff like urns or whatever. Also pens, pepper mills and lidded boxes.

I also don't want to buy a lathe that will require an extension so I was definitely interested in how it is to work between 20" of total free space. And I won't likely be removing the tailstock for the first 8 months to a year but after that it'll be fine.

I won't be putting a mobility kit on mine because I'm an optimist. :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
My 3520A will start shaking at 640rpm with a blank that size and out of balance. I'm guessing the floor may not be flat or the legs don't have even pressure but still that's a good size piece and Oak weights quite a bit.

Thanks John. I didn't even consider that and you're right. Maybe I'm over reacting to that video.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I've always thought a 14" lathe was an excellent option. You could stretch and turn a 12" bowl, which in reality is a pretty functional size and for most end users a 'big' bowl. In days gone by, it was a common lathe size from manufacturers, but they mostly dropped out leaving just the Jet 1442. The Reeves drive on the Jet make it problematic as a good long term partner, leaving a void in this size. It'll be real interesting to see how the Powermatic fares in the marketplace, along with the Laguna 15". They must have done some market research and think there's a demand. I'd agree.

I agree with you here Dean, and when I look at my stuff, the vast majority of what I've turned is smaller than 10" in diameter. The 14" swing of the Powermatic is fine for me. When searching for the "perfect" dimensions of a lathe for what I think I need, I find that nobody makes that 18-24 lathe with a footprint of about 40" in length. The Laguna 15 comes really close.

A bit late to the party, but some other lathes to compare to the PM 2014. Grizzly G0838 https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-16-x-24-variable-speed-wood-lathe/g0838 16x24 ~$1800, and the Nova Saturn https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-55241.html 16x24, $2,000. All 3 of these lathes are a bit light.

The Nova Saturn has an outboard tool rest that bolts to the lathe bed, only adding 3-4" length and provides 29" swing. Also, if you add a bed extension to any of these you are at the footprint of a full size lathe but don't have the weight.

Last edited:
Website
michaeljedelman.com
I bought a 2014 as a step up from my HF 10x18 after looking at various lathes in that category, and spending an afternoon with a friend’s Powermatic 3520. I wanted something that would run on 120VAC, have at least 1HP, was small enough for me to move into my basement shop working alone, and was from a company with an excellent reputation for service and support. I ordered it from a local independent dealer just before the last big price increase.

I'm very happy with it. I took care to level it, which I suppose is one reason it doesn’t make noise or move in use. My only regret is that I didn’t order the bed extension along with it.

Back