• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum Pumps and Chucks

Need to know a good brand of pump to use with a vacuum chuck. I don’t have the chuck yet so suggestions on the chuck/pump combo are appreciated. In addition, don’t like buying junk and thought I ask first and buy a good one instead of buying two.

I use a Thompson 2660 pump. You can find the used from various vendors on the internet and Ebay. My main chucks are the OneWay 3 1/2” and 5 1/2. I have several homemade chucks. IMO the OneWay chucks are hard to beat.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Need to know a good brand of pump to use with a vacuum chuck. I don’t have the chuck yet so suggestions on the chuck/pump combo are appreciated. In addition, don’t like buying junk and thought I ask first and buy a good one instead of buying two.
This has been discussed quite a few times on this site. Do a search in the above box for "vacuum" and you will be reading for awhile. :) I don't recommend any system where a tube or lamp rod goes through the spindle - use the spindle itself as the tube (most lathes). I would source the pump, rotary union (adapter), and chucks separately. Other than the pump you can make all the parts yourself - or - purchase them. A good source for the rotary union that is reasonable and is well made is Craft Supplies USA .... if your lathe is one of the options.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...ter?term=vacuum+chucking&term=vacuum chucking

A good source for the rotary union that is reasonable and is well made is Craft Supplies USA .... if your lathe is one of the options.”

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/102/6659/precision-machine-Rotary-Vacuum-Chuck-Adapter?term=vacuum+chucking&term=vacuum chucking

Even if your lathe isn’t one of the options for the adapter above, give them a call with your spindle bore size and they can ship you an adapter slightly larger than you need. Chuck up the adapter and use your normal lathe tools to turn down the aluminum shaft so it fits in the spindle (you will need some new O-rings) and you are good to go. I did this and it works great.

I also have a Thomas 2660 pump, as mentioned above, and it works great and can be easily rebuilt

Thanks for the information/opinions all, it looks like there are two good pumps from the comments. I’ll do some research on making my own adapters, I make most of my hollowing tools and a few other items now.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Gast makes good pumps. They will be a lot more expensive than some. They come in a bewildering array of types and capacities. I got a good deal on a 6 cfm non-oil type pump a NIB replacement part for some sort of medical instrument-- it was cheaper because it was wired for 240V and had no cord, which was not a problem for me.

One guy in our club lived next to a guy who discarded dehumidifiers and refrigerators. He got a bunch of these vacuum pumps for nothing. I made more than a few systems from these for club members. I have been using one for 10 years now and it still pulls 26 or 27. The club paid for the parts so the folks gave $30 back to the club. They are also very quiet.

I made my vacuum chuck system using a Harbor Freight 2 stage vacuum pump...same as the Robinaire and numerous others. It is quiet, and uses air pump oil, but I am quite pleased with it. I exhaust the oil mist [which is really very tiny] into a gallon sized metal tin with a lid thru a hole in the middle with the 5/8" diameter exhaust hose. It really works very well and is quiet. I use Harrison's specialties vacuum head, and peg the needle on most woods like maple. I also have a Hold Fast venturi system that is powered by my compressor, and there is no comparrison of the vacuum to the much better vacuum pump. I have a number of blue shop towels in the tin to absorb the oil......when they ever get saturated, I will just replace them, but so far very little mist actually is produced by my vacuum pump.

So...How handy are you Steve? Some of us are more comfortable than others with DIY projects of this type. So, I dont think there are any bad answers in this thread. If you are impatient, lack the time for another project, or just not comfortable with DIY vac chuck and pump systems - the Frugal Vacuum Chuck System is the easiest, truly plug and play option. Great support, and used by many, many turners. So - if ever needed - lots of people that can advise you on it, it's uses and modifications for special needs. Please let us know what you do.
T

Gast pumps like the 0522 are readily available used on ebay for <$200. They are reliable and replacement vanes are readily available. It's easy to make your own chucks if you have a tap to fit your spindle thread. I use this adapter to make the connection through the spindle https://www.packardwoodworks.com/110919.html, or the Craft Supplies unit mentioned above is another option.

I use the vacuum generator sold by hold fast chucks. It uses my compressor and I didn't like all that noise, so I put some isolating feet on the compressor and now it's pretty quiet. It is a very simple device and doesn't take much room. Looks like this...

Attachments

• $_57.PNG
    $_57.PNG
    878.8 KB · Views: 8
One guy in our club lived next to a guy who discarded dehumidifiers and refrigerators. He got a bunch of these vacuum pumps for nothing. I made more than a few systems from these for club members. I have been using one for 10 years now and it still pulls 26 or 27. The club paid for the parts so the folks gave $30 back to the club. They are also very quiet.
Great idea

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I use the vacuum generator sold by hold fast chucks. It uses my compressor and I didn't like all that noise, so I put some isolating feet on the compressor and now it's pretty quiet. It is a very simple device and doesn't take much room. Looks like this...
John, .... beside the fact that a compressor is noisy it is also an energy hog with its 2 - 5 - 7hp (or more?) motor. My Gast pump is only 1/4hp and is rated for continuous duty....and much more quiet! Back when I used to do production stuff, sometimes I would use the vac pump for 3-4 hours continuously without shutting it off.

Thanks for the photo

I bought the new dry carbon vane pump that frugal vacuum chucks sells and it is working great so far. It pulls so much vacuum i had to install a second valve to break the vacuum to release the turning.
The second valve or dump valve as its sometimes referred to is good for any system especially to reduce vacuum on thin turnings so you dont crush them. Also a common practice to open the dump valve prior to shut down to unload the pump to reduce the chance of kickback on the vanes or piston. While most pumps are robust enough to not be bothered by this it can help extend the life of the pump a bit if you hear a loud rattle right after shutting it off.

Back