• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shellac

I've been reading past posts about quick and shiny finishes and in amongst those are folks who say they mix their own shellac. Now that DNA seems hard to get what do you use to dissolve your shellac flakes and what flakes do you prefer.

Considering the cost of alcohol right now, I'd suggest just going to Menards and buying premixed shellac. Some folks have even gone to buying Everclear alcohol at the liquor store. That makes for a very expensive finish.

DNA is not too bad $ wise here in MO, butShellac flakes are very expensive these days. Use Zinsser Sealcoat dewaxed 2# cut or their Bullseye Shellac, waxed in cans but dewaxed in rattle cans I believe. Unless topcoating with another finish, waxed gives a bit slicker finish.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I use the Behlen Behkol (AKA Mohawk Shellac Reducer-- they are the same product) quite happily. Find it to be much more consistent than DNA from the big box stores, as the composition of that material changes with the whims of the manufacturer, the price of the inputs, and regulatory changes. It lists at $24/gallon on the Mohawk web site.

None of the online retailers I looked at (Amazon, Rockler, Woodcraft) show any restrictions on shipping it to any state. I bought a gallon just a couple weeks ago in MA.

I doubt I use but a quart of shellac on turnings in a year, so the cost ends up being trivial.

Thanks for the replies. I don't use much anyway, I'll just get it in the can. I do like to use it as a sanding sealer before applying color is some woods. I saw too that Ernie Conover uses household ammonia to clean his brush after using shellac. Anyone else use it as a solvent for cleaning up shellac?

I just bought a gallon of DNA at my local Menards for under $15. Not really expensive and not hard to find in my area (NE Wisconsin).

Too cut down on the cleaning solvent for your Shellac brushes, you can use a small plastic bottle with a large diameter screw on lid and leave an inch of solvent in the bottom of the bottle and store your Shellac brush inside the bottle submerged in the solvent. I usually use a 1-inch chip brush to apply the Shellac and this is small enough to fit inside the neck of the bottle. The solvent is the same chemical used for thinning the cut of the Shellac, once each year or two I buy a new plastic bottle that the thinner is sold in and throw out the old one when it needs to be replaced.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
You don't need to clean your shellac brush particularly well, I give it a couple squirts with DNA from a wash bottle and blot it on a paper towel, just enough so it doesn't harden into a brick (if the latter happens it just takes longer for the solvent to get to dissolve the shellac residue). The bristles will be stiff, but then the residual shellac will soften very quickly the next time you use the brush. Because the shellac re-dissolves there's no issue with dried finish particles marring your finish as occurs with varnishes and such of the brush isn't completely clean.

Does amonia break down shellac?

Yes. Would not want to use ammonia containing cleaner on a shellac finish to clean. It wont do much if immediately wiped off, but will strip it if left on long enough. Ive taken a brush that was very crusty with cured shellac, spray soaked with ammonia, brush came out squeaky clean. I probably kept it wet for over an hour maybe longer.

I do just the opposite. I buy relatively cheap brushes and rollers for any paint or finish. If I'm using the brush or roller over a few days, I'll wrap it in a plastic grocery bag. Otherwise, it's easier to toss them than spend the time cleaning them. JMHO.

Back