• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Crackling (not cracking) sound coming from cooling madrone bowl

I've just green-turned a fairly thin-walled madrone bowl and microwaved it (about 15 short bursts of 15 seconds each, cooling between bursts). It's sitting on my desk making a delicate crackling noise, sort of like what you'd hear if you held a paper cup of carbonated water close to your ear. It's been making the noise for about an hour. I heard this once before from a small madrone bowl that I had boiled after rough-turning, then finish-turned before it was fully dry. That one was cool though still moist, so I'm guessing it's a moisture thing and not a temperature thing. Anyone else noticed this sound from madrone? The piece is not cracked or fractured in any way, just sitting there making a fizzing noise.

Saw Christian Burshard out of Ashland, OR demo once at our club and he turned a very thin madrone bowl. He passed it around and told us to put it up to our ear. You could hear that same snap, crackle, pop sound. This is typical of madrone in particular, and I think it has to do with cell walls rupturing. I love madrone!

robo hippy

I've just green-turned a fairly thin-walled madrone bowl and microwaved it (about 15 short bursts of 15 seconds each, cooling between bursts). It's sitting on my desk making a delicate crackling noise, sort of like what you'd hear if you held a paper cup of carbonated water close to your ear. It's been making the noise for about an hour. I heard this once before from a small madrone bowl that I had boiled after rough-turning, then finish-turned before it was fully dry. That one was cool though still moist, so I'm guessing it's a moisture thing and not a temperature thing. Anyone else noticed this sound from madrone? The piece is not cracked or fractured in any way, just sitting there making a fizzing noise.
I remember a maple bowl that I turned a while back making a sizzling noise as it dried. I thought for sure it would crack but it didn't.

I agree with cells cracking. I cut some frozen western red cedar parts for timber framer. After cutting the knee braces I stacked them up and ate lunch. When I came back they sounded like Rice Krispies. Took them outside, put them in a snow bank, and called the builder.

Back