• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lignum Vitae Finish

Making small items from Lignum Vitae to be hand held. Thinking of putting a bit of walnut oil finish on them and buff 'em out, but this wood is so oily in it's own right it may be "gilding the lily". No food contact, but a lot of hand holding, so a film finish probably wouldn't work. If anyone here has worked with this wood, your experiences would be appreciated. Any finish suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

My grandson made a pen with AV. Like drilling tool steel. We wiped with acetone and applied CA. So far, so good. Gary has a a good suggestion.
I was told that AV was used for submarine bearings.

My grandson made a pen with AV. Like drilling tool steel. We wiped with acetone and applied CA. So far, so good. Gary has a a good suggestion.
I was told that AV was used for submarine bearings.
Not just submarine bearings. A lot of ships used LV bearings for the propellers. I was given a piece of LV bearing block, basically 1/2 a bearing, because it had a check in it, and couldn't be used. I sometimes think about cutting it up and turning it, but its far more interesting as is

Last edited:
Lignum blocks were used for bandsaw blade guides for a long time. This was before 'cool blocks'. I think they also used them for the belaying pins on sail boats because they wouldn't rot, and probably made a good club.

robo hippy

I always go for a quick Beall buff and Renaissance wax. Argentine Lignum vitae makes great one-piece yo-yos, with a slick, ball bearing like axle.
ea7a1af34ca967cbd72ad8efc34d4d5b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help...followed your advise and just used Beal Buff and finished with Renaissance wax. They look great and feel wonderful. Thank you.

Back