• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Debra Higley-Feldman

I've been turning about 25 years (taught by a boyfriend [they have their uses]), but really immersed myself in it (and shavings) with retirement 1.5 years ago. Girls weren't allowed in shop in HS, so there are some gaps in my knowledge. I turn lamps, pepper grinders, bowls, lidded boxes, and whatever else the wood tells me to do. I was a research geologist with the USGS, but now bike, garden, and turn in these sequestered times. Neighbors that see me with a P100 respirator and apron probably don't believe I do organic gardening (I'm sensitive to CA glue and wood dust). Maybe that explains why they won't take my zucchinis? Looking forward to spending time in the forum.

FiguredMapleCherryBowlTextur1120.JPG

PensCherryWalnutMyrtle320s.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. You sound like a character. I got a good chuckle out of your comments..... Let the fun begin, again...

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I've been turning about 25 years (taught by a boyfriend [they have their uses]), but really immersed myself in it (and shavings) with retirement 1.5 years ago. Girls weren't allowed in shop in HS, so there are some gaps in my knowledge. I turn lamps, pepper grinders, bowls, lidded boxes, and whatever else the wood tells me to do. I was a research geologist with the USGS, but now bike, garden, and turn in these sequestered times. Neighbors that see me with a P100 respirator and apron probably don't believe I do organic gardening (I'm sensitive to CA glue and wood dust). Maybe that explains why they won't take my zucchinis? Looking forward to spending time in the forum.

View attachment 35941

View attachment 35942

Welcome to the AAW forum, Debra. I quit growing zucchinis ... you can't give them away fast enough and if you turn your back on them for even a moment they'll go from cucumber size to watermelon size.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Debra. I quit growing zucchinis ... you can't give them away fast enough and if you turn your back on them for even a moment they'll go from cucumber size to watermelon size.
Give a man a fish and he can feed himself; give him a zucchini plant and he can feed the world. I'm going to try turning a kale stem next; it is about 2 inches across (kale is another veggie that results in people avoiding you).

I've done demos on turning unusual materials. I generally finish up turning a frozen potato. People seem to like that lol
I see no reason why a kale stem can't be turned, especially if you freeze it first.

I've done demos on turning unusual materials. I generally finish up turning a frozen potato. People seem to like that lol
I see no reason why a kale stem can't be turned, especially if you freeze it first.
I tried cutting the kale stem yesterday, but it was already a bit rotted. Sooo, I'll have to content myself with wood. I wonder if my spiraling tool would work with a potato on the lathe...probably better to stick with food processors and such. I finished a Russian olive bowl today; other than the spring growth rings being much softer than the fall ones, it turned well. Would have been more homogenous if I had harvested in the winter, but the tree decided to prostrate itself on my lawn about 20 years ag.

Selection of material is key.
Cindy Drozda a few miles north of you has a nice video turning a bowl from a cauliflower for a party salad.

google “Cindy Drozda cauliflower”. Fun and instructive.
Nice video. I have a friend who's lathe inverter died a while back. Maybe if I send his wife the video and say he can help in food prep, he will fix his lathe.

Back