• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ice Cream Scoops

I turn some of these scoops for craft shows (I know, there might not be any this year?). Looking for a good way to display these. Any ideas would be welcomed.

I can't find my "prop" scoop, or pic, but for an xmas craft show I bought a cheap plastic scoop and cut the bowl in a zig zag part way thru, then bent it to look like it broke while scooping. I had a little sign mentioning the unexpected dangers of ice cream scooping and extolling the virtues of my "professional" scoops. As far as display, I had the scoops in individual boxes with tissue paper, a ready gift...Make it easy for the buyer.

Clifton C - what scoop kits do you use? I've been looking around and for the most part, the threaded part looks like it's about an inch long. I'm worried about a lot of force being applied to such a small area (especially when scooping very hard ice cream). I may fabricate a long metal (3" - 4" long) tube instead of just a short threaded insert, and drill out the handle to accommodate this.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Clifton C - what scoop kits do you use? I've been looking around and for the most part, the threaded part looks like it's about an inch long. I'm worried about a lot of force being applied to such a small area (especially when scooping very hard ice cream). I may fabricate a long metal (3" - 4" long) tube instead of just a short threaded insert, and drill out the handle to accommodate this.

Long metal tube is way overkill and unnecessarily complicates a simple project. A properly installed ferrule on a hardwood handle is all that is required. Use the ferrule that comes with the kit. Been making scoops for years and never had one returned with broken handle. - John

Long metal tube is way overkill and unnecessarily complicates a simple project. A properly installed ferrule on a hardwood handle is all that is required. Use the ferrule that comes with the kit. Been making scoops for years and never had one returned with broken handle. - John

Thanks for the advice, John. Too many years of designing medical devices makes me start thinking of the potential failure modes before even trying it out.

Back