• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lamp help

I have not turned a lamp yet. I want to make some that are about 50 inches tall to set on the floor behind our end tables. I am wondering about the base, do you guys turn it long or short grain I’m thinking long grain is strongest. This should just be a large spindle in a couple pieces so mostly curious about the base.
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The table lamps I have made I glued the vertical spindle into a face grain base.
This makes a stronger an prettier base.

end grain is the ugly part of the wood that furniture makers have been hiding for thousands of years.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I make face grain bases. One problem you have is the weight is not enough You can buy lamp weights from several sources. I simply hollow out my base to accept the weight. Adding a weight keeps the base from having to be so massive to properly counterbalance the lamp. You can find different sizes and weights by searching. Here is one I found on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Lamp-Cast-Ir...603727379&sprefix=lamp+weights,aps,185&sr=8-4

Here is a better source. http://www.mylampparts.com/Departme...oOHZtzecYNBpU31i5MCM7ls_7XQ8cPuYaAvJeEALw_wcB

Ditto the side grain.
8064Lamp.jpg This is an example of several table lamps I have made with a half log as a base. I thought it might be a good idea for a floor lamp but have never tried it due to the checking problems I would encounter. That might be an idea for you if you could find a big enough mesquite log plus it would give you enough mass to hollow out the under side for the previously mentioned weights.

I have been making some table lamps lately.
Something like Grueby Pottery.
I have been using two 2 1/2# weights in the bottom. Go to Dick's Sporting Goods and go to the weight lifting section. Lots of different selections.....weights.
One of my other hobbies is making Tiffany Style glass lamps. I live in earthquake country. Want the lamp to stay upright when the earth wiggles.

Back