• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ravioli Roller

Looks like the struts lengthwise were inset into small dadoes cut in the blank. May be easiest to cut those in the blank prior to turning the core piece. Alignment of the spindle axis with the dado cuts will be very important.
I believe the slots for the longitudinal pieces should be cut on the table saw when the glue-up is square, however i would be concerned about tearout of these slots when turning on the lathe

If you leave the blank long, you could build a C- shaped plywood sled and run wood screws through the ends into the finished turning and then cut the grooves on the table saw. Loosen the screws and rotate 90 degrees and repeat. If you turn between centers, you would have the centers marked in the blank to guide the wood screws and keep the turned blank centered. You would also want to measure the circumference and mark the 90 degree marks to index it in the fixture.

The best way that I can think of would be to turn the coves first, then cut the dados for the linear sticks.
Use a solid carbide down cut spiral of the required width and use a guide bushing in the router base.
Make a jig to guide the router similar to the sketch below.
Use the indexing on the lathe to position the work piece every 90 degrees
IMG_20201106_185427_1.jpg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Even though im.a router guy and love.doing indexed projects I think the best way would be to use the table saw when it's still square. Use the toe of the skew to cut down the straight side then use a spindle gouge to cut the cove.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Everything mentioned will work with the appropriate spindle turning.

If I were to make it, I would use the first @Gary Beasley solution. It is the fewest steps and easiest setup.
I cut pommels frequently leaving square corners with no tearout.

A shear cut with a skew or a pull cut with a side ground bowl gouge will leave the edges of the dados crisp before cutting the coves. These edges will be dangerously sharp. If you touch the spindle with these sharp edges it would be like a 4 toothed saw.

I would also be making a final finish cut after gluing in the strips.

Interesting. However, IMHO, to make pasta, ravioli, or something similar, it's easier to buy it ready made. My BIL bought a pasta maker and used it a few times and put it in the cabinet. I do want to make pierogie from scratch as I was told my grandmother made them. Pierogie (pee-ROW-hee) is an item similar to ravioli. They are made in Eastern European countries.

Interesting. However, IMHO, to make pasta, ravioli, or something similar, it's easier to buy it ready made. My BIL bought a pasta maker and used it a few times and put it in the cabinet. I do want to make pierogie from scratch as I was told my grandmother made them. Pierogie (pee-ROW-hee) is an item similar to ravioli. They are made in Eastern European countries.
It's always better to make things yourself rather than to buy ready-made. Also, with a lathe nearby and growing hobby, it presents a challenge that most of us are up for !!

Back