• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

This forum is getting expensive!..... (poll)

Have you purchased tools, equipment, etc., as a result in participating in this forum?

• Yes

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Yes vote, here! ;)

I can't remember just who suggested these Cole jaw extended grippers, but after having trouble with mounting a bowl on Saturday, I realized they are just the thing for a few of my permanent bowl shapes. Whoever it was that brought these grippers to my attention......thank you! :D
il_794xN.628240698_bmlz.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/204150998/special-tall-grippers-for-oneway?ref=yr_purchases

==============================================

That's far from being the only thing I've purchased, as a result of participation on this forum. Just a couple weeks ago, I purchased two Robo-rests, which I'm very happy with. I consider them better made than another well known tool rest of this type. If you want one of these Robo-rests, you better get it now, because Reed has decided to quit this business, to concentrate on his lathe turning. :(

https://www.robohippy.net/store
10.0woodgrain.png

======================

I believe there has been at least a dozen purchases as a result of AAW forum participation......some that worked out for me, and some that didn't. Even those that didn't, gave me answers and inspiration to do a little inventing of my own! :D

A couple of the best things I can think of that you guys turned me on to, is the resp-o-rator, and the Uvex bionic face shield.

-----odie-----
keep on turnin'.jpg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Thanks for pointing out those grippers... could have used something like that last weekend!

You bet, Dan.......I'm still drawing a blank on the person who first introduced them to the forum a few days ago......I really do feel indebted to the forum members who point out products and ideas here in these forums. I am so much more informed and able to turn my bowls because of them. :D

Come to think of it, my Robust "sweet 16" banjo, which has bee a wonderful addition, wouldn't be in my corral, if it weren't for a discussion about banjos here in these forums......;)

-----odie-----

Got those grippers a while ago, went to use them for the first time last week, got them all installed on my Cole jaws and then found they wouldn't open wide enough, so now I own $300 of (Ron Brown) Longworth chuck and donut rings.

Also got the Robo rest last week...

odie

TOTW Team
Got those grippers a while ago, went to use them for the first time last week, got them all installed on my Cole jaws and then found they wouldn't open wide enough, so now I own $300 of (Ron Brown) Longworth chuck and donut rings.

Also got the Robo rest last week...

You are using these grippers on a Longworth chuck?..... What exactly is the problem?

I've been stacking factory Stronghold grippers on the jumbo and mega-jumbo jaws..... plus a combination of washers and spacers for many years. The Stronghold grippers are slanted on the sides, and some applications are a bit difficult to do with great success. Since the stacked grippers do work, and open wide enough for me, I don't suspect I'll have any problems. The vertical sides of these new grippers will be better for some applications. :D

-----odie-----

No, the Cole jaws, on my one and only chuck, wouldn't open wide enough to grip the exterior rim of the bowl. Bowl was about 13" is diameter.

So I bought the 20" Longworth chuck.

Courtney1.jpg

The most I've spent so far was getting set up to do basket illusion pieces. First saw that style from threads here, then bought bead cutters, woodburner (and numerous tips), ink pens, etc... I'm hooked now, after completing my first one a couple months ago.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Re: Cole / Jumbo Jaws. I never trusted them and they are too fiddly when changing sizes. I like Flat Jaws with added softwood plates which are easily adaptable for different sizes and probably a lot more secure. Only problem with Flat Jaws is size limitations due to the small size of the metal plates that attach to the chuck....you can't go too large with the wood plates for safety. When I had the opportunity to purchase a set of Cole Jaws at an estate sale (cheap) I did so...and then added some PVC foam board (instead of wood) to the jaws. Now I have a 19"Ø chuck (20" swing on my lathe).....way more than I need! Open the jaws slightly and simply turn a groove with a parting tool a little larger than your bowl rim (even dovetailed). Expand or contract the jaws to grip the rim. Perfect centering and up to 360º of gripping on the rim ... not just on 8 points. Can be used for many sizes, many times and easily swapped out when totally used up.

Mark me down as a "yes." Some prompted purchases have been very very useful...and some have not. I have a bunch in the "useful" category but I am a finish junkie so at the forefront are the many many finishes that I have purchased as a result of the fine discussions. I've had a blast trying them out...like a mad scientist. In the "have not" category, I bought a hollowing camera system for my Jamison hollowing rig...and found that Lyle's laser pointer worked better than the camera setup. However, I still enjoyed tinkering with it.

Mini split system, vacuum chuck and dust collector, all thanks to this site! I’m building blast gates for the dust collector. Hope to have it fully functional in a few days.
99B3E9E1-70A8-4830-9F1C-C0362C142F68.jpeg E69C1527-EEC3-4326-B868-C9C8DE6ECA0C.jpeg 1D185388-E8CC-4268-B384-35DD82CE00B9.jpeg

My problem is, I look at some of the things people are doing on this website and think to myself, "I can do that". The only thing I need is one more tool or device or contraption to make it work. I'm accumulating quite a collection of woodturning stuff. It's a lot of fun and most of it doesn't take up much space.

This weeks additions include a Robo bench grinder rest and a Colwood woodburning kit.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie I use the Jumbo jaws a lot, I do have extensions for it and also extra sets of buttons, they can be stacked if the need arrises, able to hold quite delicate as well.
View attachment 35752

Hi Leo......:D

Yep, that's what I do, too. Also, various washers and nuts can be used as spacers, so that the point of contact can be adjusted incrementally.

Note: There is a kit available for stacking the original Oneway grippers. This includes machine screws that match the tapered metal interior surface of the grippers for better centering. ;)

-----odie-----
one_jum_jaw_rep_gri_set_sta_scr.jpg

Chris,
I like your dust collection set-up a lot. I have a homemade cyclone separator I made a few years ago that is connected to my shop vac. The separator function works very well, but the shop vac left something to be desired, hence my decision to buy the Jet machine. I have plans to connect the separator to the new set-up once the fittings I’ve ordered arrive, and the blast gates I’m making are done. Thanks for positing your picture! It’s very helpful.

My initial answer would have been "no" cause I have everything darn tool and accessory already and then some. I'm the Tim Allen of woodturning. Ah ah ah ahhhhh,
However, a few weeks ago I added the Jamison Bowl gouge to my weapon collection and was happy about it. I was influenced by one of our administrator's comments about it. It performs outstandingly.
Also about a year ago, I made the plunge to the Tradesman Grinder as a result of a discussion here. I have both belt and CBN. The best purchase(woodturning) I have made since 2000 when I bought my 2436 and well worth the extra money for the variable speed and the out of the box near-zero runout on the CBN wheel. Customer service is just extraordinary.
Yeah, so coming to this site is dangerous to your financial health. However, when I go into my shop and see my Oneway and Tradesman the feeling of joy that I get money cant buy!

Hi Leo......:D

Yep, that's what I do, too. Also, various washers and nuts can be used as spacers, so that the point of contact can be adjusted incrementally.

Note: There is a kit available for stacking the original Oneway grippers. This includes machine screws that match the tapered metal interior surface of the grippers for better centering. ;)

-----odie-----
one_jum_jaw_rep_gri_set_sta_scr.jpg
Yes I do have those and several button sets as I have 3 different size Jumbo jaws, for my mini, midi and large lathe, screw galore with the half dozen Chucks and extra jaw set, though none are long enough to do stacks of buttons, so some metric bolts and nuts are used whenever needed :D Thumb-up.gif

You are using these grippers on a Longworth chuck?..... What exactly is the problem?

I've been stacking factory Stronghold grippers on the jumbo and mega-jumbo jaws..... plus a combination of washers and spacers for many years. The Stronghold grippers are slanted on the sides, and some applications are a bit difficult to do with great success. Since the stacked grippers do work, and open wide enough for me, I don't suspect I'll have any problems. The vertical sides of these new grippers will be better for some applications. :D

-----odie-----

Odie - I can tell you one problem with the Oneway grippers. The black rubber has a very low resistance to oils and solvents. To the degree that - I mounted a bowl on the Cole jaws w/Oneway grippers, and I now have permanent black stains in the wood. The bowl had been pretty well soaked with Mahoney's Walnut Oil, then wax, and allowed to dry for a week or so prior. But it now wears little black triangle shaped marks where the brief contact while finishing the foot of the bowl- between the grippers and the bowl rim occurred . I was bewildered, and called Mike and talked with him and did the same with the folks at Oneway.
I wish this was just mentioned on the Mahoney's bottle - and on the Oneway packaging. I do not blame either company - it is not a product design issue on the part of either. It is just a usage that was not predicted at the time the products were first made.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie - I can tell you one problem with the Oneway grippers. The black rubber has a very low resistance to oils and solvents. To the degree that - I mounted a bowl on the Cole jaws w/Oneway grippers, and I now have permanent black stains in the wood. The bowl had been pretty well soaked with Mahoney's Walnut Oil, then wax, and allowed to dry for a week or so prior. But it now wears little black triangle shaped marks where the brief contact while finishing the foot of the bowl- between the grippers and the bowl rim occurred . I was bewildered, and called Mike and talked with him and did the same with the folks at Oneway.
I wish this was just mentioned on the Mahoney's bottle - and on the Oneway packaging. I do not blame either company - it is not a product design issue on the part of either. It is just a usage that was not predicted at the time the products were first made.

Thanks for letting me know about that, Tim. ;)
I'll certainly keep this in mind.

My main finish is Watco Danish Oil, and even at that, the usual time before mounting on the jumbo jaws is about two weeks, and only to do the foot. So far, I have not experienced any black marks, as you describe.

On a related note: My original set of Oneway grippers have been retired. After about 25 years of use, the rubber has become hardened with age. It's possible the cold temperatures here in MT have something to do with that.

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
After about 25 years of use, the rubber has become hardened with age. It's possible the cold temperatures here in MT have something to do with that.

It's actually ozone that causes the hardening (Ozone is an elemental molecule consisting of three oxygen atoms whereas oxygen molecules normally consist of two oxygen atoms). On automobile tires, it's often referred to as "dry rotting". The rubber isn't rotting at all, but because the hard rubber develops cracks that lead to crumbling when flexed, it resembles rotting. Natural rubber as well as many synthetic elastomers such as Nitrile are susceptible to ozone cracking even when the level of ozone is very low. Some newer synthetic elastomers are much more resistant to ozone cracking so tire "dry rotting" is hardly seen these days.

(Sees something cool in the gallery.)
"How did you make ______ ? Oh well I better get a ______ so I can try that!"
"Yes honey, I need a ______ how else will I make you a ______ with a ______ ! My woman deserves her fineries."

Repeat.

Thanks for letting me know about that, Tim. ;)
I'll certainly keep this in mind.

My main finish is Watco Danish Oil, and even at that, the usual time before mounting on the jumbo jaws is about two weeks, and only to do the foot. So far, I have not experienced any black marks, as you describe.

On a related note: My original set of Oneway grippers have been retired. After about 25 years of use, the rubber has become hardened with age. It's possible the cold temperatures here in MT have something to do with that.

-----odie-----
My pleasure to share Odie. Again, it is not a "product problem" per se....but a usage that neither manufacturer could have predicted.

I have never had any problem with the buttons to give black marks on the wood, though mind you I don't hold the turnings with wet oil on them, it would make the wood pretty slippery as well.

Odie yes my original buttons did start to get hard and started to have pieces break of, so I ordered two sets of buttons a couple years ago, still have the old ones as I can use them as stackers under the buttons, still can throw them out ;)

I have never had any problem with the buttons to give black marks on the wood, though mind you I don't hold the turnings with wet oil on them, it would make the wood pretty slippery as well.

Odie yes my original buttons did start to get hard and started to have pieces break of, so I ordered two sets of buttons a couple years ago, still have the old ones as I can use them as stackers under the buttons, still can throw them out ;)

Granted....that is why I waited a week - and there was no wet surface. It felt completely dry. No slippage either.

Back