• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What a deal!

I like to share when I find a good deal; so I thought I'd show a few pics of the trailer full of wood blanks I found on a local listing on marketplace. I was the first to respond (like 10 seconds), so I got all this at a great price (600.00); which for me anyway, is a lot of money.
It is mostly maple burl with with some cherry,walnut,locust, and some sycamore. Some of the largest chunks are curly,spalted burl (maple). It was all around 11% moisture and stored in plastic sealed bins outside. I'll be having fun this winter!
It was a 15 year collection of a really talented turner (last name Frome) that recently passed away. His widow showed me a few of his pieces which included several turned cowboy hats, and some hollow forms. Absolutely fantastic talent. I'm always a bit sad when I see an old shop that the owner has gone on to be with the Lord. There was still more on the trailer when I took these photos (probably half).

IMG_8933.JPG IMG_8934.JPG IMG_8935.JPG IMG_8936.JPG IMG_8937.JPG IMG_8938.JPG IMG_8939.JPG IMG_8940.JPG

Holy cow. A few bowls will pay for that - the rest is gravy. That's quite a find. And yes, accompanied by sadness. It is good that the stuff is going to someone who will appreciate it and who will get something positive out of it. Keep it rolling...

Back