• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Showing the bowl from Nic. Licata and ID ing the wood it's made of

As I don't think Nic has the right ID for the wood I did made a post on that.

So I have some pictures here that show the leafs and flowers of the Black Locust and the Bark of that tree, also a platter that shows the Black Locust wood and grain.

Then. 2 pictures of Elm, a bowl's interior and color, and then the side that shows the typical Elm grain, with next Nic's bowl picture that also shows that grain, easy to see the similarity of that.

I hope to be of some help here for those that are not familiar with these woods.

Here are the leaves and the bark of the Black Locust.
Black Locust flowers.jpg Black Locust tree bark.jpg Black Lotus wood platter.jpg
There are the two Elm Bowls and Nic's Bowl.
Elm wood bowl.jpg Elmwood grain shows wwwww.jpg Nic's Bowl.jpg

Website
adamcottrill.ca
The second and third pictures in the second row look the same and sure look like elm to me. In the woods I am familiar with, the 'wwwww' pattern in the grain is usually indicative of an elm, although there may be other species that have that I am not aware of that have this same pattern. The wood database notes that the pattern is called 'ulmiform' which refers to the arrangement of the pores and produces the distinct zig-zag pattern in elms (and hackberry(?)).

Adam

I believe that Black Locust will glow under UV light.

Agreed that pics 2 and 3 look like elm. Black locust can be yellow to green even, and turns a dark amber, similar to Osage as it is exposed to air and UV.

robo hippy

it also fumes with amonia to a very dark black with lighter striping in the winter growth rings. Can be an interesting effect.
Here’s a very old shot of a fuming test on black locust - first round, just out of the fuming chamber/bucket. No finish. I never went to final finish, just a test...
8F5003EE-351A-475D-84E9-7427A9BBFD2B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back