• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Important Announcement

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Some recent discussions in the Tech Support sub forum reported an unusual situation in which newly created threads containing the word "Shavings" in the title couldn't be accessed ... and instead, the following error message was displayed:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.
Subsequently, I have discovered that any word in the title that contained the six letter sequence "having" would cause the thread to no longer be viewable and instead would display the "forbidden" message. This means that the following words must not be used in the title until we figure out how to fix the problem:
  • having
  • shaving
  • shavings
  • behaving
  • misbehaving
  • reshaving
  • $havings, XYZhaving, 123having and other such non-word sequences
Going all the way back to the beginning of the forum in 2004 there are less than thirty threads with Shaving or Shavings in the title making them unreadable. I couldn't search on the word "having" because the forum search engine considered the word too common.

The words containing "having" can be used in the body of a post, but not the title. It's up to your ingenuity to come up with substitute words, but not being able to use "shavings" on a woodturning forum is just weird.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's happening on other forums as well. Software update??

This is fixable without the need for a software update, but FYI we're working on a customized version of XenForo 2.X that has basically the same UI as we currently have in order to minimize or eliminate any heartburn over the transition when we do upgrade.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
@Bill Boehme , have you tried interposing a space, "hav ing"?
I'd give it a try, but if it goes forbidden I can't delete the post.

I verified that inserting a space or any other character works, but impacts readability.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
So I have, as my forum bookmark, the New Posts page. That Picking Up Shavings post is now always in the New / Unread list, because of the permission problem. Any chance of deleting it, since noone can read it anyway?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I discovered that it was still there about an hour ago and deleted it. Normally, when threads are merged you wind up with just one thread. However, in this situation the merge works OK, but the one that was supposed to disappear was still there. Fortunately, I was able to delete it.

Interesting thread, Bill. Thanks for the info. FWIW, I did a search on a website and came up with items totally unrelated to my search word as long as it had the letter sequence included.

All in all, not a huge issue when you step back and see the amazing amount of info posted here! Funny how this glitch even exists!

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
This problem has now been fixed. It was a security rule in the server software on prevent SQL injection attacks. I changed the rule and you can now start using Having again :) If you guys run into any other keyword errors like this please let Bill or I know and we will take care of it. Thanks!

I could not access forum all day Saturday and Sunday.....worked fine today.....any thoughts?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I could not access forum all day Saturday and Sunday.....worked fine today.....any thoughts?

If you couldn't access the forum at all then the problem you were having was somewhere other than the forum. The delays that I experienced were sometimes between thirty seconds and a minute, but there wasn't any period where the forum couldn't be accessed.

Some recent discussions in the Tech Support sub forum reported an unusual situation in which newly created threads containing the word "Shavings" in the title couldn't be accessed ... and instead, the following error message was displayed:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource......

very strange. good catch.

Back