• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Face Mask Dust

Hi All,
Does anyone have a cure, or better yet a preventative method, for stopping lathe dust building up on the perspex face shields that are common when turning?

All replies welcomed.

Jim

There is a product called "Parker's Perfect" ( https://www.parkersperfect.com/ ) that is a very good anti-fog product that also helps keep the lens in your faceshield clear. Works for me.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Never ever touch the faceshield, and only use a blast of air to remove the dust. Clean the lens with lens cleaner you use for glasses and cotton cloth......and/or individually packaged lens wipes.

-----odie-----

I had that problem with a new facemask and cleaned it once with a dryer softener sheet. I have not had an issue since. For some reason they seem to hold static more whn they are new.

Hi All,
Does anyone have a cure, or better yet a preventative method, for stopping lathe dust building up on the perspex face shields that are common when turning?

All replies welcomed.

Jim
I had that problem with a new facemask and cleaned it once with a dryer softener sheet. I have not had an issue since. For some reason they seem to hold static more whn they are new.

Thanks to all three of you! I'll give those a shot.

Thanks again!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Used dryer sheets work great. You still have to blow the dust off but it doesnt stick so it comes.off easily.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Windex and a microfiber shop towel on a fairly regular basis (I usually have sap in addition to dust on mine, with the occasional unfortunate addition of CA glue). Most paper products (paper towels especially) are abrasive enough to scratch the plastic, so should be avoided.

Back