• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Some video footage

I thought it was time to share a short video of me at my lathe hopefully linking it from my facebook page works in the clip I am turning a salad bowl from some chestnut I was given I was turning this at 300rpm due to the fact I am using a face plate and the wood is uneven from ripping the blank with my little stihl MS250 chainsaw. Please forgive the mess on my woodworking bench I am in the process of sorting stuff out on there.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I thought it was time to share a short video of me at my lathe hopefully linking it from my facebook page works in the clip I am turning a salad bowl from some chestnut I was given I was turning this at 300rpm due to the fact I am using a face plate and the wood is uneven from ripping the blank with my little stihl MS250 chainsaw. Please forgive the mess on my woodworking bench I am in the process of sorting stuff out on there.
Next time show us from the other side so we can see how you are presenting the gouge to the wood. I see long shavings, looks good.

Next time show us from the other side so we can see how you are presenting the gouge to the wood. I see long shavings, looks good.
I will do my best to film from the other side next time. I was filming with my phone so had it sitting in the best place I could find would be easier if I had a go pro but they are rather expensive. I will give it another try when I get the bowl into the chuck to hollow it out.

Love your bench in the background. A friend years ago had this answer to cluttered benches. Build them with the top at a 45 degree angle and they’ll always be clear.

If you find a better answer please let me know.

I'm wondering why you made the video. Are you planning on teaching.
No I am not planning on doing anything like that I have only been turning for a year and still learning. Is there an issue with me letting people see me working at my lathe? If so I am more than happy to have the thread deleted.

Last edited:
No go ahead and post. If we can see how you are cutting we can try to help.
Thats all good like I said will try to get footage if the actual cuts I make most, of my learning has been through sharing videos on Facebook and other turners have made suggestions on how I can improve and I also watch videos by the guys who share their knowledge on youtube (Mike Peace, Robo Hippy etc)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
No I am not planning on doing anything like that I have only been turning for a year and still learning. Is there an issue with me letting people see me working at my lathe? If so I am more than happy to have the thread deleted.
Your video is fine. My comment was only because I could not see you using the tool, and we can't help you. When things get back to normal, hopefully. soon, will you be able to go to a woodturners club, symposium or even a turning friend? As you know, NZ has some of the most talented artists in the world, most of them willing to share their knowledge. Keep having fun! Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Yes I have seen your videos on sharpening I recognized them when I searched your you tube username, I have included some more footage this time hollowing out this round I rested my phone against the tailstock and I was running the lathe at 850rpm this time.
Excellent work! For the record, when I'm rough turning or even hollowing out, as long as that it is not a final cut, I go against the grain too. After all, we paid for both sides of the bowl gouge, so why not use them. I wish that were my line, LOL, that's from Del Stubbs, about 25 years ago. Aloha

Excellent work! For the record, when I'm rough turning or even hollowing out, as long as that it is not a final cut, I go against the grain too. After all, we paid for both sides of the bowl gouge, so why not use them. I wish that were my line, LOL, that's from Del Stubbs, about 25 years ago. Aloha
Thanks Emiliano I had good advice from wood turners over here on the NZ woodturners facebook page as I do share alot of my work and the occasional video. I did start getting lessons from a woodturner but then I moved and work got busy with 6 day weeks I just could not fit everything into one day so ended up self teaching through watching videos on youtube and a good chunk of those wood turners I have watched I have learned alot from and I find posting videos a good learning tool as I do catch myself out while viewing them and I get great advice too by people who have viewed them but one thing I live by and Mike Peace and many other woodturners say it on thier videos and that is ride the bevel all my final cuts are with a robert sorby turn master which I also use for normal scraping and shear scraping.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It looks to.me.like younare forcing the cut when doing the push cut. I can tell by the way it pops.out of the cut. Slow down the rate you are pushing the tool through the work. Relax and let the tool cut at the rate it needs to cut especially toward the middle.where the surface speed is slower. Of course it could also be telling you thentool.needs sharpening.

It looks to.me.like younare forcing the cut when doing the push cut. I can tell by the way it pops.out of the cut. Slow down the rate you are pushing the tool through the work. Relax and let the tool cut at the rate it needs to cut especially toward the middle.where the surface speed is slower. Of course it could also be telling you thentool.needs sharpening.
The gouge had gone dull which is why I stopped the video then changed to my other bowl gouge

Well the bowl is done just finished wet sanding with tung oil and applied a coat of paste wax that I made myself it will go in the donut chuck tomorrow for tenon removal

Attachments

• 20201007_214724.jpg
    20201007_214724.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201007_214745.jpg
    20201007_214745.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Ross......You might want to get a curved tool rest, so that you can work without extending the tool as far. Even so, with a straight tool rest, it can be repositioned, so the extension isn't as far. This will help make tool control a little easier.

-----odie-----

Ross......You might want to get a curved tool rest, so that you can work without extending the tool as far. Even so, with a straight tool rest, it can be repositioned, so the extension isn't as far. This will help make tool control a little easier.

-----odie-----
I do reposition the rest once I get to the point that I have to a curved rest is on the list for when I buy more stuff

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I do reposition the restonce i get to the point that I have to a curved rest is on the list for when I buy more stuff

Well, yes......Start with the straight rest. After you've removed some material from the interior, and the extension of the tool over the rest increases, the straight rest can be brought into the interior of the bowl, on the right side. When the tool extension increases again, and the interior shape is more curved, then exchange for the curved interior rest.

-----odie-----

Back