• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Track system for lathe

Has anyone bought and used the track system sold by woodturners wonders? I was going to order one with a nova light and thought I'd ask what everyone thought of it. I'm getting tired of trying to find a place to stick my magnetic light and it just gets in the way. The head and tail-stock on my Harvey t60 is round and they don't want to hold on.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just bought it. Let me first say I've used several other fancy systems to hold my dust collector and lights. I even built my own track system out of the metal they use to hang all thread supports from the ceiling. His is much better. I love it. It's super easy to install, at least on my Powermatic. I love the dust collector system it's so easy to move. I bought one of the light stands and use it. I may buy another light stand and might in the long run by an extension to the track.

I think the rear track looks wonderful for rear accessories like the flexible dust collection bracket. For certain lighting situations, such as the inside of a bowl/hollow form it appears ideal. Often, light is needed on the other side of the piece and a gooseneck from the far side of the lathe may not be the best lighting solution for all situations, especially for larger pieces. I would think you may need to consider lighting above the piece and work from there. Just my thoughts.

I bought one of those overhead storage racks they make for garages and mounted it above my lathe. I bolted 2 1/8" steel plates to the underside of it and clamped my LED lights to them. I attached an outlet strip to the rack (there is a nearby outlet in the ceiling), so I have a place to plug the lights in as well as my drill, hot glue gun, etc. I have a couple of magnetic tool strips attached to the underside of the rack, which gives me a convenient place to hang calipers, rulers, etc.

I purchased the track system from WW a couple of months ago and I really like it a lot. I bought the track and the dust collector only. Didn't have a need for the depth gauge or light.IMG_0566.JPG

I bought the track system and the nova light from WW, and also the dust collector set up that attaches to the track. They both work well, but the bending bars on the dust collector are kind of hard to move and the handles that you loosen and tighten for sliding the light and dust collector holder, are very slippery and hard to grip. I dunked them in that rubber stuff for tool handles.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I bought one of those overhead storage racks they make for garages and mounted it above my lathe. I bolted 2 1/8" steel plates to the underside of it and clamped my LED lights to them. I attached an outlet strip to the rack (there is a nearby outlet in the ceiling), so I have a place to plug the lights in as well as my drill, hot glue gun, etc. I have a couple of magnetic tool strips attached to the underside of the rack, which gives me a convenient place to hang calipers, rulers, etc.

Would you post a picture of that?

Back