• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna 1836 versus Oneway 1640

Given the choice between these two machines which would you choose and why? I primarily turn bowls. Looking for insight from others who have used these machines. Thanks!

David

I don’t have either so can only speak to lathe swing. I like to turn bowls and have an old 16” woodfast lathe that works great and has most features I want BUT turning mostly bowls the 16” swing is just a little small. Not that I want to turn a 20” bowl but if you want to slide the banjo under a mounted bowl that means the bowl can’t be bigger than about 12” in diameter. On an 18” lathe you could do larger bowls more appropriate for salad bowls without the banjo interfering.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have turned on the ONEWAY 1640 quite a few times. It is a great lathe. Haven’t turned on the Laguna.

I would get the ONEWAY - the ONEWAY Banjo is just the best banjo available.
the pendulum Mounted controls are just the best. Near eye level and can be position so you never have to reach across the work to operate.

the optional outboard bed gives a 24” swing. ideal of turning 14-15” bowls. Turn the blank between centers To rough it round and turn the tenon. Mount it outboard using a chuck and away you go. Have the short bed if you want to hollow from the end.

If you end up leaning toward the Laguna, I suggest looking at the Jet1840. It has a better banjo than the Laguna.

Here is a demo I did on the 0neway 1640.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XccQl_0BY

No question the Oneway. I'm prejudiced because I've been turning on a Oneway 2436 since 1998. As hockenbery says the banjo is far superior. But my main reason would be the lathe bed. Laguna has 2 small rectangular tubes and the Oneway has a big round tube with gussets and bed rails that would be far superior in strength and torsional rigidity. I don't know what kind of bearings and how many are used in the Laguna, but Oneway has 4 bearings and pretty sure the front 2 are still preloaded tapered roller bearings. And finally you are buying a North American made product, not an Asian import.

Well, I prefer a sliding headstock for bowl turning, so that would mean the Jet or Laguna. I have more experience turning on the Jet. The Oneway is an excellent lathe, but I just don't like turning bowls on the long bed lathes because you have to extend your arms out away from your body to do proper cutting. Dale Larson, an Oregonian and well known turner, and AAW member turns all of his bowls on the big Oneway. He roughs on the inboard set up, and final turns on the outboard set up. As far as size goes, I seldom sell bowls over about 14 inch diameter. Just not as much of a market for them, so anything that turns 14 inch diameter is fine for 99% of what you will do. I have never turned on a Laguna. They appear to be good lathes. I do really like my Vicmark 240 which is the only lathe I have seen that has a pivoting headstock design that I like. Pivoting angles are pre set and all you do is pull a pin and move it. It goes back exactly in place, every time.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The Oneway is an excellent lathe, but is only available in M33-3.5 Spindle. There are many accessories that are not available in M33-3.5 threads, and everything I currently have is all 1 1/4 x 8tpi. If I were in the market for a lathe, that would be the reason I wouldn't consider a Oneway lathe. There are spindle adaptors, but this necessitates extending the work further from the spindle, and exacerbating any inherent vibration issues with the current bowl being turned.

Oneway would probably get a major boost in sales, if they would just offer their lathes in 1 1/4x8tpi spindle.:(

-----odie-----

These two lathes are quite different from the user standpoint. Before you decide, it would be a really, really good idea to try them out. Maybe there are a couple local club members who have these and would let you take them for a test drive.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I own a Oneway 2436. Serial # 703, made in 1997. I bought it used in 2002, and have used it almost daily since then. I turn full time. That lathe has proven itself a work horse every day, without fail. Since I bought mine, Powermatic and Robust have given Oneway a really good run for the money. I would (and have given) Robust American Beauty a really close look (and may still go there), simply because of the stainless steel ways (turn a ton of green wood, and you'll understand why), and the power assist tail stock drop-away (every year that Oneway tail stock seems to weigh more).

I turned on the Laguna as a demo lathe, and found it to be fine lathe. But to try to compare Laguna to Oneway really isn't a fair comparison at all. If the price points are the same between those two lathes, I would go with Oneway. Robust also makes a Sweet 16.

Comments about the swing should be taken seriously. If you really see yourself turning 16" diameter bowls, you need more than a 16" swing. The blank, no matter how closely you can cut them, are never perfect. The banjo and bed will interfere with your swing. However, I can tell you that the market for a 16" salad bowl is very small. I would haul a 15" or 16" bowl to every craft show for two or more years before it sold. And that bowl takes up a lot of real estate in a 10x10 booth, and your vehicle. Another consideration is whether you can get logs that are 18"-20" plus in diameter, the chainsaw to cut them, the means (ruck and/or trailer) to get them home, unless you are buying the log, and paying for delivery, and the bandsaw to cut them into rounds (or use the chainsaw to cut hexagons - see problem with clearing banjo/lathe bed, above).

Just some things to consider, before you make your purchase.

odie

TOTW Team
I own a Oneway 2436. Serial # 703, made in 1997. I bought it used in 2002, and have used it almost daily since then. I turn full time. That lathe has proven itself a work horse every day, without fail. Since I bought mine, Powermatic and Robust have given Oneway a really good run for the money. I would (and have given) Robust American Beauty a really close look (and may still go there), simply because of the stainless steel ways (turn a ton of green wood, and you'll understand why), and the power assist tail stock drop-away (every year that Oneway tail stock seems to weigh more).

I turned on the Laguna as a demo lathe, and found it to be fine lathe. But to try to compare Laguna to Oneway really isn't a fair comparison at all. If the price points are the same between those two lathes, I would go with Oneway. Robust also makes a Sweet 16.

Comments about the swing should be taken seriously. If you really see yourself turning 16" diameter bowls, you need more than a 16" swing. The blank, no matter how closely you can cut them, are never perfect. The banjo and bed will interfere with your swing. However, I can tell you that the market for a 16" salad bowl is very small. I would haul a 15" or 16" bowl to every craft show for two or more years before it sold. And that bowl takes up a lot of real estate in a 10x10 booth, and your vehicle. Another consideration is whether you can get logs that are 18"-20" plus in diameter, the chainsaw to cut them, the means (ruck and/or trailer) to get them home, unless you are buying the log, and paying for delivery, and the bandsaw to cut them into rounds (or use the chainsaw to cut hexagons - see problem with clearing banjo/lathe bed, above).

Just some things to consider, before you make your purchase.
My Oneway has stainless steel ways.And the banjo is to die for!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm curious as to why you guys feel the Oneway banjo is the best. Give us some specifics, if you would, please. :)

-----odie-----
The banjo has a smaller profile than most and has easy one hand operation and positioning.
This banjo allows positioning a short tool rest near the tailstock with minimal ram protrusion because the banjo does not hit the tailstock. Other banjos require more clearance with the tailstock to get a short tool rest close to the live center So the center has to be cranked out several more inches making more vibration.

The tool rest lock is in line with the banjo lock so it is never in the way like side positioned tool post locks. The locking lever can be set to lock at various positions around the clock face to suit the user ( I have mine set to lock at 6 o’clock, Sherry has hers set to lock at 3 o’clock) the toolmrest locking lever is about 6” long so easy to grip and operate.

it locks solidly in place. The tool rest locks solidly. Both lock and unlock with finger force.

the locking handles are actually quite pretty to look at.

odie

TOTW Team

Thanks Larry, for showing us that video. :D

Yes, I can see some definite advantages to the Oneway banjo, and some things that leave me with some questionable thoughts.

I like the post hole that is exactly 1 inch on one side, but .030" oversized on the other. That will likely take care of some issues I have with different sized tool rest posts.

The cam shaft deflection is eliminated by the two support blocks, but I don't see that as an issue. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, IMHO. I do not have the advantage of actual familiarity with the Oneway banjo, so I can only surmise the difference here.

The adjustable handle is nice, but that is adjusted on other banjos by loosening, or tightening the hex nut on the "I" bolt. Looks like the Oneway adjustment is probably a bit more precise, though.

The ductile iron strength vs cast iron strength reasoning sounds good. Off hand, it does seem that a wider banjo to bedway surface might be a more stable connection. A stronger iron is always better in certain ways, but is the more narrow surface an improvement over the wider surface connection of other cast iron banjos? I wonder about that. o_O

======================

If I had seen the video prior to my purchase of the Robust banjo, it might have made a difference in my decision......but, it certainly wouldn't make me abandon my Robust banjo.......:D

-----odie-----

The Oneway is an excellent lathe, but is only available in M33-3.5 Spindle. There are many accessories that are not available in M33-3.5 threads, and everything I currently have is all 1 1/4 x 8tpi. If I were in the market for a lathe, that would be the reason I wouldn't consider a Oneway lathe. There are spindle adaptors, but this necessitates extending the work further from the spindle, and exacerbating any inherent vibration issues with the current bowl being turned.

Oneway would probably get a major boost in sales, if they would just offer their lathes in 1 1/4x8tpi spindle.:(

-----odie-----
Not sure about all but the Oneway 1224 does come with a 1x8 spindle . Also have heard you can request other spindles and they will accomodate.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Given the choice between these two machines which would you choose and why? I primarily turn bowls. Looking for insight from others who have used these machines. Thanks!

David

What Donna said about big bowls. If you just have to turn huge bowls, you can turn outboard on the Oneway. Build quality of the Laguna is good. Build quality of the Oneway is excellent. Personally, I am a bit suspicious of Laguna's horsepower claim. If the lathe ever needed service, I would much prefer dealing with Oneway. Finally, if you ever were to sell the lathe, Oneway lathes are great about holding their value.

All my lathes are cast iron, I spent over 40 years working with big iron machinery. Now this is just me but when I turn on a steel bed lathe I feel like I'm singing. Your two choices given I would nod for cast iron but I would substitute the Jet 1840 EVS instead of the Laguna. The Jet comes with a 5 year warranty vs 1 year for Laguna. Plus the Jet has some pretty impressive features. When you ask for comparisons whether it is lathes, chucks or tools etc. it is not unusual that they feel theirs is the best. I have Powermatic, Nova, Jet, Delta and Vicmarc lathes and I have had zero real problems with these lathes for over ten years or more and I would promote any of them because of that. I do suggest you find someone who has what your interested in and give it a try before you buy.

Well, now I am informed about the Oneway Banjo. I have no clue as to how their banjo is patentable, since if I searched, I would bet that I can find some thing similar and far older, but you need a lawyer to define things.... The longer levers they have are a good idea, and the one for the tool rest is hinged, so you can flip it to either side, and they are adjustable. I have a Robust Liberty, and the banjo and tool rest handles get in the way of each other. The tool rest handles made out of steel is an excellent idea. I have worn out numerous handles on my other lathes from the softer handle metal being worn out by the much harder set screw splines. My AB currently has a little 6 inch set of vice grips on it instead of the handle. The vice grip splines match the splines on the set screw, and if I need to adjust it, I find the vice grips easier to adjust than the spring loaded handles.

After having my 3520A for 10 years and then switching to my AB, the biggest difference I noted was that they made different noises when turning. Never noted any harmonics in the AB. I have thought about filling the tube with sand for more ballast, and for sure, that would dampen any harmonic vibrations.

robo hippy

Thanks Larry, for showing us that video. :D
I like the post hole that is exactly 1 inch on one side, but .030" oversized on the other. That will likely take care of some issues I have with different sized tool rest posts.
-----odie-----

My lathe is a General 260-20". I like the machine for the most part but hated the banjo. I was thinking about buying the Oneway, but since I have a machine shop I decided to improve the General. I bored out the post hole .030" just like Oneway on my Bridgeport milling machine. It was an easy operation and made a big improvement. I would think any machine shop could do this at minimal cost.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and advice. I already had the Laguna. It was my first new lathe. I really enjoy it although there are a few things I would change. Laguna now has a partner in my small garden shed. I purchased the Oneway so I will use them both for a bit then likely make a decision. It is hard to justify having both and space is a premium. Thanks again!

Back