• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturners Worldwide Symposium

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Zoom this and Zoom that. Oddly enough I find that I'm not that excited by the prospect of five days in front of a laptop.

I put it up on the big screen TV (AirPlay is great!); much more comfortable. Relax in a comfortable chair with an appropriate beverage and it's good. I almost never watch TV so sitting down in front of the tube for several hours is quite the novelty.

I am registered. Got home from work today and watched a couple of the preliminary Tuesday prerecorded sessions. Most are 15 -30 minutes. Just click and it plays. My 2-cents after surfing around the virtual conference platform? Very professional and I'm looking forward to the rest of the demos this week. Love the fact you can watch them at your convenience and MUCH better than the typical Zoom platform. Excellent lineup of demonstrators too.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Received an email with a $10 off coupon for the event. According to the email the coupon code is "Maple". The email implied we could give out the code.
Or you can use my code Emiliano. You will get $10 off. My demo is Friday. the Hawaiian Calabash. See you there! And, you don't have to be in front of the laptop for 5 days, you have month to watch everything, except me, I'm only live streaming, no recording for me.

I really had a ball today meeting all the woodturners in the interactive workshops and video one on one sessions. This format is fresh and exciting. Sorry, nothing like the dread of the zoom sessions that some of you experience.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I’ve seen your demo, and it is worth carving out the in the day to watch (again, for me). Good luck!
Thank you Phil! I'm doing a demo tomorrow for a club in Vancouver, then on Friday, I'm doing the symposium. Back to back! Aloha from Maui

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Disappointed, if you mean I can’t watch after the fact. I’ll be on the road and you are the main reason I signed on. :(
My next private demo is on October 17th. More info on my website. If you can't see me tomorrow, maybe you can make it then. Aloha!

At the WW symposium last night, I enjoyed a Demonstration by Emiliano of the "Hawaiian" Calabash Bowl. His presentation of the history behind the bowl infused with the passion for his culture and woodturning combined to make a heartfelt IRD.
It was good seeing all the lastest woodturning tool ideologies in action.

Last edited:

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Even my wife enjoyed Emiliano's demo!
Emiliano puts on an exceptional Interactive Remote Demo. Informative, educational, funny, keeps that banter going to keep you attentive. All elements that a good demonstrator should possess.

I 'attended' one of Emiliano's IRD sessions a few weeks back, and watched his symposium demo this morning. It is clear he is passionate about his work, and does a good job of sharing that passion with his audience.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
At the WW symposium last night, I enjoyed a Demonstration by Emiliano of the "Hawaiian" Calabash Bowl. His presentation of the history behind the bowl infused with the passion for his culture and woodturning combined to make a heartfelt IRD.
It was good seeing all the lastest woodturning tool ideologies in action.
Thank you very much Dennis! I had fun yesterday! Aloha

Back