• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning blooper

Whoops got a bit too carried away with my woodcut flexi hollowing tool not too worried will just turn a new base for it in hope of saving it

Attachments

• 20200917_195913.jpg
    20200917_195913.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200917_195932.jpg
    20200917_195932.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 136
Nice funnel! :) BTW, don't scrap it. You can "plug" the hole with another piece of wood. I like to use a coordinating color, such as a darker or lighter colored wood. For that piece, I think walnut would look nice or maybe a piece of ebonized wood. You could use a dowel rod or turn your own piece, glue it in and trim (sand or turn) it down to fit.

Nice funnel! :) BTW, don't scrap it. You can "plug" the hole with another piece of wood. I like to use a coordinating color, such as a darker or lighter colored wood. For that piece, I think walnut would look nice or maybe a piece of ebonized wood. You could use a dowel rod or turn your own piece, glue it in and trim (sand or turn) it down to fit.
Definitely not scrapping it I have got some Rimu and some Tasmanian blackwood I can use to turn a new bottom for it and I may possibly add a rim out of the same wood I use for the bottom and shape it all into the body of the hollow form

The wood cut can get aggressive if the top whatchamacallit is open too much but with a small opening you may get shavings jammed into it. I have one mounted on a 1" piece of drill rod with a pipe handle for an overall length of 4' and I have brought the lathe to a standstill cutting into end grain. The depth of cut can be controlled by rotating the tip CCW so the whatchamacallit is rubbing the inside, then slowly rotate CW until the desired depth of cut is reached. They are a great cutting tool and they sure beat the various scrapping hallowers, but the main problem is it only takes about 10 seconds to fill the turning with wood chips. The thing you may want to do in the future is to mark the depth with a piece of masking tape on the tool shaft so that you know when to stop.

The wood cut can get aggressive if the top whatchamacallit is open too much but with a small opening you may get shavings jammed into it. I have one mounted on a 1" piece of drill rod with a pipe handle for an overall length of 4' and I have brought the lathe to a standstill cutting into end grain. The depth of cut can be controlled by rotating the tip CCW so the whatchamacallit is rubbing the inside, then slowly rotate CW until the desired depth of cut is reached. They are a great cutting tool and they sure beat the various scrapping hallowers, but the main problem is it only takes about 10 seconds to fill the turning with wood chips. The thing you may want to do in the future is to mark the depth with a piece of masking tape on the tool shaft so that you know when to stop.
yup I will be sticking some tape around the shaft of the flexi hollower but just need some more time with it to get the feel of using it I also have some munro minimun6 hollowing tools but they are for smaller stuff and the cutter on that is a nightmare to take off and put on the sharpening stem as it is 6mm diameter and has a really small torx screw that is real easy to misplace.

Back