• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Counting down the days to my new lathe day

Right now I am feeling like that little kid looking at all the presents under the christmas tree getting all fidgety and impatient knowing that the days are getting closer to when I head up to Auckland and collect my Nova 1624 series 2 lathe from Terry at Timberly woodturning and I can say goodbye to my little 10 inch chinese made wood lathe that seems to have multiple brands put on it. While it served me well over the last year of my journey in learning about woodturning and it took everything I threw at it without falling to pieces the time has come to take it up a notch and go to a bigger and better lathe to help me continue this journey I have started.

Congratulations. I have this lathe and I think you are going to like it. It is serving me very well. Can I mention two upgrades that I've done with mine and really recommend (if and when you can).

The swing away hinge and bed extension (sold separately). It makes it so much easier to manage the tailstock. I don't think I've had to remove the tailstock (and find some place to put it) since I made this change. I think Nova has discontinued the hinge, but there may be leftover stock or you may see one used.

The DVR motor upgrade is a game changer. Changing belts got old for me really fast. Full disclosure, I'm not happy with the membrane buttons Nova used on the controler, but I absolutely love having variable speed with push button control. And the 50 to 3000 rpm speed range is fantastic to have. One caveat, if you buy the DVR motor, buy a pulley for it. (It took a solid 1/2 a day to remove the original pulley from the old motor).

Congratulations. I have this lathe and I think you are going to like it. It is serving me very well. Can I mention two upgrades that I've done with mine and really recommend (if and when you can).

The swing away hinge and bed extension (sold separately). It makes it so much easier to manage the tailstock. I don't think I've had to remove the tailstock (and find some place to put it) since I made this change. I think Nova has discontinued the hinge, but there may be leftover stock or you may see one used.

The DVR motor upgrade is a game changer. Changing belts got old for me really fast. Full disclosure, I'm not happy with the membrane buttons Nova used on the controler, but I absolutely love having variable speed with push button control. And the 50 to 3000 rpm speed range is fantastic to have. One caveat, if you buy the DVR motor, buy a pulley for it. (It took a solid 1/2 a day to remove the original pulley from the old motor).

I have seen the swing away hinge but won't be needing it for a while and will be saving for a bed extension later down the road as they are $425NZD unfortunately the DVR upgrade for the 1624 is a USA only upgrade but I can get the motor changed to a variable speed one if I wished to do so but after sinking $1899NZD on the lathe even the outrigger will have to wait a while but atleast I can still rotate the headstock a little bit for hollowing out bowls and removing the tailstock is something I am used to doing, to get the lathe I actually sacrificed my modified Fender stratocaster and 100 watt marshall amp head which was not a major as I still have another amp head and my baritone guitar which is what I use the most for the style of music I play, the Fender was just an impulse buy and the Marshall was a love hate relationship anyway.

to get the lathe I actually sacrificed my modified Fender stratocaster

Wow. You know you're a woodturner when you sell your Fender Stratocaster...

I love the rotating headstock. You're right it's great for hollowing and you can even rotate it backwards which gives a little better access to the headstock side. I have the outrigger option, too. I can share my observations with you when you're closer to that decission if you like.

Wow. You know you're a woodturner when you sell your Fender Stratocaster...

I love the rotating headstock. You're right it's great for hollowing and you can even rotate it backwards which gives a little better access to the headstock side. I have the outrigger option, too. I can share my observations with you when you're closer to that decission if you like.
Now that first line is classic that should be added to the you know you are a woodturner when thread lol. When the time gets closer to buying those addons I will certainly let you know

Back