• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl thickness

I have been thinking about the bowl thickness. I am looking to kind of come up with a set thickness for the diameter of bowls. I’m talking about user bowls “utility” 12-15inch What do you guys think a good thickness is for these sizes that offers light but still strong?

Thank you

I am generally in the 1/4 to 3/8 max range. If I go thicker, it is because the wood is more light weight, and just doesn't feel right if it is thinner. I do once turn my bowls, and 3/8 is a bit thick for some of the more warp prone woods like Madrone where you will get more cracking if you leave it that thick.

robo hippy

Back