• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Does anyone use a Nova Outrigger?

I am considering adding the outrigger to my DVR XP and would appreciate any insights current owners have regarding the attachment. I understand it is very stable. Since the use of a tailstock is not workable I am wondering how owners get around this when turning outboard? It seems depth would also be limited by the extension, which is probably a good safety feature. Does this greatly affect usability?

Bill

Ive got one on mine and tried using it a time or two. Found it had too much give for my taste and plan on making a bottom post to brace against the floor at some point. As far a the lack of tailstock if you are turning something big enough to use the outboard on you really need a well anchored faceplate or put your faith in a well made chuck and set of jaws.

Yes, I have one on my 1624-II. I can give you my observations and impressions, but in the end its value is going to depend on what you want to do with it and how and what you turn.

I have used mine a couple of times for turning, but it didn't really help that much for what I was doing. You can use the outrigger on small pieces that begin life between centers, which is how I was using it, but I found it was just easier to rotate the head stock part way and pull the banjo out. With the head rotated 90* and the outrigger set up there is a limited amount of space between the end of the spindle and the tool rest, and a chuck takes up a good bit of it. I could measure that for you if you want but as I recall with a chuck on the spindle there was barely room for a 3 1/2" block and the tool maneuver space was cramped. Certainly a 2" thick platter, would be very doable. But if you are looking at the outrigger option to turn a blank that's too big to start between centers you will, as Gary says, have to be on a face plate (I can't imagine any way you could create a secure chuck mount).

For a big blank if you are turning a blank that is a uniform square or circle I think you'll be fine. But if your desire is to turn an irregular lump of tree, or you didn't get the face plate in the center of your blank, the load is going to start out very unbalanced. I don't know for sure about the DVR XP, but based on my experience the 1624 on steel legs is too light to handle that load.

So if your goal is start out with a fairly round blank of uniform thickness on faceplate, I think the outrigger will work. If you have an unbalanced load or a thick piece on a chuck I think you are going to encounter limitations.

I have one and tried it a few times but just like Mark above, i rotate the headstock on my galaxi 45 degrees and use the banjo. It seems very solid from what I can tell though. I'm sure part of that is that I never got around to setting up proper directional lighting on the end like I have above the bedways. I actually turn all the insides of my bowls rotated 45 off center. If i can find someone local to buy mine I'll sell it but i doubt shipping it would be worth it.

I have one as well on my second lathe a 1624. I have only used it a few times in 9 yrs. I find it stable enough but the lathe likes to dance a bit with an off center load. I managed to turn this
platter with it not my smartest move but it can be done.IMG_20180908_124117.jpg

Hi Mark, I would say far more foolish than brave. The piece measures 20" x 12". To do it correctly it should have been turned between centers until the very end.

Back