• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this normal for oneway quality?

So I used my brand new easy core today, and noticed this horrible machining on the mounting plate. Is this acceptable, or should I ask for another one?

14757ADA-8C8D-4223-ACE9-CBA743628E13.jpeg F15BAAFD-BCE9-41FB-A24A-5F777658A508.jpeg

My friend bought one last week to use in my shop. It's not quite as bad, but still sloppy/shoddy work. It looks like plasma cutting using a template.

Won't effect clamping at all so were just going hum......

Well, it is a bad job in the manufacturing. For me, I would tell them about it, but probably wouldn't bother to send it back. It will still function just fine. You can probably send them a picture, or refer them to this post.

robo hippy

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I had the Oneway Coring set-up and agree that the machining on that opening is poor. I would let them know, but I wouldn't necessarily send it back and get a new one shipped.

I had to ship something back to Razertip in Canada for a repair under warranty. I shipped it USPS; I was warned by others and Razertip not to use a private shipper, as they would tack on additional fees for customs. My box took 2 weeks to get to Razertip; they received it on August 14, made the repair and shipped it back Canada post the same day. I still haven't received it; the tracking number tells me it's still in transit, but unable to give me a delivery date :-(

Yeah, it's never a good situation up here when I get things from the state's by FedEx or ups. Always seems to cost me. FedEx in particular is really bad because they'll call you and ask if you want them to act as customs broker, if you say yes which many people will do, when they don't know better, all of a sudden there's a 25 or 30 dollar charge added on. I won't purchase anything gettin the us that they are not willing to ship via USPS.

I’m sure it will function just fine. But I like quality tools. It would bug me every time I saw it.
I don’t have any of their stuff but had been thinking of ordering the live tailstock center kit.

John, I agree with all that have said this mounting plate will work just fine. But, (there's always a but, isn't there) I wonder if you gave Oneway a chance to respond to this before exposing this on a public forum. I think you deserve a better plate for the amount of money you've spent. And my money says that if you show these same photos to the folks at Oneway they will probably replace the mounting plate for free and tell you to keep the old one. No sending it back or messing around with international postage. That's the kind of company I believe they are. I don't know why they would deliver a product that looks like that and they probably don't know how it slipped by either. Give them a chance to make it right before you subject them to this kind of bad publicity. Every company deserves that.

If you have a surface grinder......just smooth it out a little. Or maybe a nice file. In the amount of time you would spend smoothing the rough cut out, It would be less than the time you would spend on trying to get a new one.
Just to make sure there are no sharp edges. If you want to complain.....that is OK also. But easy to fix.

I 100% agRee with you. I always wonder why people post stiff like thus when a simple phone call to the manufacturer would give them the answer they are looking for. Then if they don’t feel the company rectified the situation properly then bash them . Not do it first on a public forum asking everyone something that they should be asking the people they bought it from. Oneway is an awesome company with just as good customer service.

Dude you need to work on your reading comprehension skills! Where did John bash anybody? He merely ask if it was acceptable or IF he should ask for a new one. How can you possibly get bashing the company out of that?

Website
www.turnrobust.com
Yes the robust is a straight up rip off of the Oneway design!

Glenn, Brent from Robust here. I couldn't disagree more. Please do your homework before making a comment like that. I won't go into the details, but it's quite obvious if you look. The Powermatic/Jet live center is a copy of the very fine Oneway live center, and Oneway took legal action against them.

Glenn, Brent from Robust here. I couldn't disagree more. Please do your homework before making a comment like that. I won't go into the details, but it's quite obvious if you look. The Powermatic/Jet live center is a copy of the very fine Oneway live center, and Oneway took legal action against them.
I’m very sorry Brent. I did get mixed up. It was the powermatic. My deepest apologies.

John, I agree with all that have said this mounting plate will work just fine. But, (there's always a but, isn't there) I wonder if you gave Oneway a chance to respond to this before exposing this on a public forum. I think you deserve a better plate for the amount of money you've spent. And my money says that if you show these same photos to the folks at Oneway they will probably replace the mounting plate for free and tell you to keep the old one. No sending it back or messing around with international postage. That's the kind of company I believe they are. I don't know why they would deliver a product that looks like that and they probably don't know how it slipped by either. Give them a chance to make it right before you subject them to this kind of bad publicity. Every company deserves that.

An email already went to them. No response yet

Pick the phone up and call Kevin, let him know you expect better quality from Oneway. Things slip through the cracks sometimes. I’m pretty certain he will respond with a replacement part.

Pick the phone up and call Kevin, let him know you expect better quality from Oneway. Things slip through the cracks sometimes. I’m pretty certain he will respond with a replacement part.

Dean is spot on. OneWay is a very classy outfit, they will make it right. They have never hassled me on a return before. I see that John is in WA and OneWay is open Monday to Friday EST so probably will have a solution by Monday.

Unfortunately, it looks like this one was made on the Friday afternoon shift going into a long weekend. No excuses for them but given that it is just a mounting plate that will have a bolt going through it I would just use it until they send a replacement part. They shouldn’t want that one back and would probably recycle it instead of reselling it.

Back