• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lacquer over Liquid Wax -- Russ Fairfield method?

I have a lot of respect for the late Russ Fairfield and his experience, but I am confused by his approach of wet sanding with Watco Liquid Finishing Wax and then applying Deft lacquer over it. This approach is explained in Step 2 of his "Deft Finish Applied on the Lathe" write-up in Russ's Corner (http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish5.shtml). It also shows up in his first DVD where he says you can apply lacquer over the liquid wax once the solvents have dried. I had always thought that you should never top-coat a wax finish with lacquer. Has anyone successfully wet-sanded with liquid wax and then applied lacquer over it??

I’ve used lacquer over paste wax numerous times. I’ve filled the pores of open grain wood with a mixture of dichromic powders and Johnson paste wax. I do rub off any excess wax. After a couple hours I spray Mohawk rattle can lacquer over the surface. It will feel like it isn’t dry, but the lacquer is. There is a residue from the wax that just rubs away with a paper towel. It appears that the lacquer melts through the wax or binds chemically with it. Someone else made have that answer.

Back