• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone here using an Arbortech ball gouge?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
s-l500.jpg

What I don't get is how can this be "self sharpening".......It resembles a Hunter tool insert, only bigger.

the Ball Gouge can also be used to create a rustic chisel-like texture. Its revolutionary, ring shaped blade is self-sharpening, rotatable and replaceable

Any discussion of this tool is encouraged.....:D

-----odie-----

I have one and plan to use it to hollow the bowl of spoons for presents. I had not even noticed that feature. Just all Arbortec products it does have a learning curve to get that smooth surface. I have the 4 inch and the 2 inch discs also and they do live up to the hype. Can make a nice smooth cut . You do have to practice to get the result you may be planning but that is just like using a gouge.

I have the ball gouge, used it on some spoons I made, yes it has a learning curve and it is quite aggressive, direction of grain is more importand than with turning I found, as it can take a good chunk out of a spoons bowl if cutting in the wrong direction, ahh self sharpening ??, there is no such thing IMO ;-)).

I did quit a bit of sanding on the spoons and ladels, just my feeling is that a spoon should be smooth :)

Back