• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Making segmented rings with more than 360 degrees

I have made my wedge templates as right triangles. This allows for multiple angles for wedges in a ring. Like 30,60,90 triangle. 40-50-90; 36-54-90 and 24-66-90 as examples. The problem is that 50, 54, and 66 don’t divided evenly into 360 degrees, they need other size wedges. So you need to adjust the wedge angles to use them.

Example at:

50 degree – cut 7 and add one cut at 10 degrees.

You can also go beyond 360 degrees, but you must reverse some of the wedges to make the ring.

50 degree – cut 8 and add 4 cut at 10 degrees, or 8 cut at 5 degrees.

Here is a sample ring glue up.
Weg8R4.jpg
Here are samples of finished product with 4 and 8 inserts.
VaseWed8R4-tilt.jpg AllSegWed8r88.jpg

Oh, that type of math makes my head hurt... I do remember seeing some one who did segments that were in odd numbers, but the extra wedges were cut square, or maybe parallel. That idea doesn't look like it will work with what you have going on there.... I may have to try this some day....

robo hippy

Robo hippy
The math keeps the mind young ha ha.
An aside for more math headaches, the second photo has 18 unique wedge angles three that are repeated for a total of 21 wedges in each ring.

Back