• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Old guys get happy sometimes

Are you sure that was addressed to you and not me?
Must have been fun hollowing some of the items I see on your media page without that. A long way over the tool rest with a bowl gouge. Should get super easy now!

is that the 5/8 tool set. I was just getting ready to order that setup.

Last edited:
I think you will really like it . I hollowed free hand for 2-3 yrs. and finally bought Trent's system. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying it sooner. It really takes a lot of stress out of hollowing and the laser is a nice addition. Best of luck.

Are you sure that was addressed to you and not me?
Must have been fun hollowing some of the items I see on your media page without that. A long way over the tool rest with a bowl gouge. Should get super easy now!

is that the 5/8 tool set. I was just getting ready to order that setup.

Yes, it's the 5/8. I didn't have enough money for the 3/4.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Which one??

I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNRC8H8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but the focal length was a little short-- it wouldn't quite focus with the camera at the top of the post. I swapped on this zoom lens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFXV6PP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which works fine. At the time I ordered some of the ones with the longer focal length were backordered (people using them for webcams?)

What you want is described as a mini spy cam, lipstick, or bullet camera, 3/4" in diameter (looks like the hole is actually 20 mm). You should avoid wide angle lenses as they will distort. Both Ebay and Amazon are sources, they should be $20-30 The one I bough didn't include a power supply, but I have a box with 100 old power bricks I haven't brought myself to throw away and I had several that worked.

For completeness, I bought this screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUZHLBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which I screwed to a block of wood with a rare earth magnet to fix it in place on my headstock.

There's nothing particularly special about any of these parts, there are certainly better choices. I just cobbled together something that works. But the system works for me and is magical to use when hollowing.

IMG_2296.jpeg

Back