• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneida Supercell 5 hp dust collector

Looking for advice from anyone using the new Oneida Supercell 5 hp dust collector. Trying to get some reviews from someone who actually bought one and are currently using.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I am also interested. In particular, I’m interested in understanding how it compares to the Jet and Laguna comparable systems.

I’d recommend calling Oneida directly. I don’t have their new Supercell, but did install their cyclone 4yrs ago and love it. Before I purchased, I spent some time on the phone with them and they were extremely helpful.

FYI - my shop is ~400sqft. I have three 6” trunks, hooked up to a 6” gate at the lathe, and 4” gates at table saw, planer, router table, chop saw, bandsaw, bench, and one spare. I regularly leave 2-3 gates open for convenience and it works very well, but if doing much sanding on the lathe I’ll close down the other gates and then I get noticeably more suction there.

I had a 5hp Jet cyclone in my previous shop, and a 3hp Grizzly Bag collector in a shop before that. The Oneida is far superior to both of those.

I have had an Oneida 3 hp system for 15 or so years. My new shop is about 2500 ft. It will take care of this shop no problem, and it sits kind of in the middle between turning room and flat work room, so there are no long runs. I can run 2 machines at once if necessary, and it will get just about every thing thrown its way. They make, probably the best system out there. No clue about Laguna. I would be suspicious of Grizzly flow claims. I know there are two different ways to measure, one is cfm, and the other is static pressure, and the static pressure one is the most important.

robo hippy

Thanks for the input. I am specifically interested in this new supercell. It may be too new for any user information. I am making the call to Oneida next.

I was considering it when looking to buy an Oneida V3000. I was a bit concerned about the supercell being a new design with multiple motors, filter surface area is small, and it may be a screamer for noise. Not to mention the cost is the same as the V3000. I decided to go with a traditional cyclone design - either the V3000 or a Clearvue, but I ended up finding an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla that was around ten years old but never used - still in the boxes - on Facebook Marketplace. All steel, Baldor motor, and it is actually pretty quiet - sound is much less obnoxious than my little screaming shop vac! Separation so far has been fantastic - nothing ends up in the filter clean-out pan.

Report back with your conclusions!

I have heard good things about the Clear Vue, but never seen one. Don't know any one who has one either. Doubt I will ever need another collection system...

robo hippy

I am hoping this will be a one time purchase for me Reed. The expense of doing it as right as possible is rather dear to my wallet... I automated the gates on several tools so that when power is on - the DC starts and the gate opens. It is great, and I am spoiled now.

Tim, I have considered those automated gates for a long time.... Probably should get a 'round-2-it' one of these days... I do need to get a few things from Oneida.....

robo hippy

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I am hoping this will be a one time purchase for me Reed. The expense of doing it as right as possible is rather dear to my wallet... I automated the gates on several tools so that when power is on - the DC starts and the gate opens. It is great, and I am spoiled now.

Is there a cell phone app to operate it?

Tim, I have considered those automated gates for a long time.... Probably should get a 'round-2-it' one of these days... I do need to get a few things from Oneida.....

robo hippy

Reed - Google " iVac dust collection gates". They are very interesting. I chose a combination of automatic gates, and some manual - a wye in my trunk line that goes to less often used tools. I do have some 4" ones left from my install that I will be selling........

Most of my lines are 5 inch, otherwise, I would want yours. Still pondering how I am going to finish out the shop, though basic stations are set... I am spending a lot of time in the pool, on my bike, and hiking...

robo hippy

Back