• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Monitor mount for video hollowing system

I'm putting together a video hollowing system for my Oneway deep hollowing system. I have all the bits and pieces I need to connect the camera to the monitor. I'm stuck on a good way to mount the 17" monitor so that it is in the correct position for viewing while hollowing yet easy to move out of the way when not in use. Real estate is at a premium for any sort of rolling stand although I'm not ruling it out.

I've attached a photo of my lathe station. Ideas I've had are some sort of mount that fixes in my second banjo behind the headstock or a folding/telescoping TV wall mount. The lathe mounted solution is relatively easy but still poses a storage problem. The wall mount solution is only problematic due to the location of the window relative to the lathe and pegboard.

I'm interested in seeing what other folks have done with their monitors and/or any practical suggestions you might have.

LatheStationLeft.jpg LatheStationRight.jpg

The monitor I use is just a 7 or 8” color screen - sits atop the headstock on an articulated arm with a magnetic base. Easy to see because its close to where my head is when hollowing. Not sure I’d like anything bigger - 17” seems like overkill to me...

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I don't see any advantage in having such a big screen, you're only two feet away from it. I use a ~7" backup camera screen that sticks to the top of my headstock with an epoxied on rare earth magnet. Maybe it's because I hollow from the end of my lathe, but I don't perceive the need for any adjustability-- the monitor, the workpiece, the hollowing rig, and my body are all lined up. It's close enough and arranged so that I don't have to look away from the work to see the screen

You may want to think about expanding your Sanders Lighting System to accommodate some kind of bracket. It’s adjustable so that’s an asset. I added a Quad outlet and about 4 additional lights to mine. It does not get in the way of my Jamison like laser hollowing system, so I think it should be ok for your camera.

I assume that the 17" monitor is something you already have, so looking at that and your set up I think the monitor will necessarily be between you and all the things on the wall that you put on the wall so they would be handy when you're turning. So you probably want the monitor to be easy to move out of the way and then return to position. You'd also like to be able to get it well out of the way when not in use. So what comes to my mind is an articulated arm computer monitor stand. These usually will have some up and down range of motion in addition to left right, up down, and tilt. I think this would be a better choice than a TV monitor which usually has less freedom of motion. Maybe it could be mounted to the Sanders thing that Dennis mentioned. Or it could be mounted to the wall. I actually have such a monitor stand holding the DC hose at my lathe and it's simply clamped to a light weight sawhorse. The sawhorse is stable enough, easy to move when needed and a solution that didn't require me to think very much or build anything.

Another option to using the spare banjo, which is probably on the short side, is to make an outrigger arm from a bit of plywood that would clamp to the bedways, but I think that can make the lathe bed rather crowded. In any case, whatever you do it might be wise to have a removable cover for you 17" screen for those times when you're turning wet and flinging sap.

Get rid of all that suff on your 17" outboard extension and make an elevated holder that can be fitted and clamped to the ways or make a larger surface for it to sit on. I have about a 20" square 1/2" plywood with a key to the ways on the outboard extension. It just slides out of the way when I want to turn outboard. Holds more stuff than just the ways!

You may want to think about expanding your Sanders Lighting System to accommodate some kind of bracket. It’s adjustable so that’s an asset. I added a Quad outlet and about 4 additional lights to mine. It does not get in the way of my Jamison like laser hollowing system, so I think it should be ok for your camera.
I went out to the shop last night to ponder a solution while enjoying an adult beverage and came up with the same idea. I was actually thinking about possibly acquiring a second one, sans light, for the purpose. It would be ideal and simple to implement. It would be an even better solution if I could find a second hand one but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I assume that the 17" monitor is something you already have, so looking at that and your set up I think the monitor will necessarily be between you and all the things on the wall that you put on the wall so they would be handy when you're turning. So you probably want the monitor to be easy to move out of the way and then return to position. You'd also like to be able to get it well out of the way when not in use. So what comes to my mind is an articulated arm computer monitor stand. These usually will have some up and down range of motion in addition to left right, up down, and tilt. I think this would be a better choice than a TV monitor which usually has less freedom of motion. Maybe it could be mounted to the Sanders thing that Dennis mentioned. Or it could be mounted to the wall. I actually have such a monitor stand holding the DC hose at my lathe and it's simply clamped to a light weight sawhorse. The sawhorse is stable enough, easy to move when needed and a solution that didn't require me to think very much or build anything.

Another option to using the spare banjo, which is probably on the short side, is to make an outrigger arm from a bit of plywood that would clamp to the bedways, but I think that can make the lathe bed rather crowded. In any case, whatever you do it might be wise to have a removable cover for you 17" screen for those times when you're turning wet and flinging sap.

An articulating monitor arm bolted to the wall was one of my first thoughts but I was initially unable to source one with a long enough reach. The wall is about 3 feet from the lathe. However, I did find one last night on Amazon Canada that might work so I've added that to my list of possible solutions.

Get rid of all that suff on your 17" outboard extension and make an elevated holder that can be fitted and clamped to the ways or make a larger surface for it to sit on. I have about a 20" square 1/2" plywood with a key to the ways on the outboard extension. It just slides out of the way when I want to turn outboard. Holds more stuff than just the ways!
One solution I've pondered is using the 2nd banjo on the outboard extension but I really like your idea of a purpose made bracket. Something else to add to my list of possible solutions. Thanks!

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I used a monitor mount from Monoprice.com when implementing the system For my Oneway 2436 a few years ago. Although I chose use a much smaller monitor than you have, the mount is intended to work with a range of monitor sizes. The product number is 5402 and costs about $25. The following pictures show it mounted on my lathe. It is attached to the extreme front end of the bed and the vertical support fits snugly against the cheek of the headstock. Without modification, the base clamp will not close enough to tighten to the bed, but adding a small block of 3/4" plywood takes up the slack nicely. It provides a wide range of motion in all directions, making it easy to position the monitor as needed and to push it well out of the way when not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_2487e.jpg
    IMG_2487e.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2488e.jpg
    IMG_2488e.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2490e.jpg
    IMG_2490e.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 57
I used a monitor mount from Monoprice.com when implementing the system For my Oneway 2436 a few years ago. Although I chose use a much smaller monitor than you have, the mount is intended to work with a range of monitor sizes. The product number is 5402 and costs about $25. The following pictures show it mounted on my lathe. It is attached to the extreme front end of the bed and the vertical support fits snugly against the cheek of the headstock. Without modification, the base clamp will not close enough to tighten to the bed, but adding a small block of 3/4" plywood takes up the slack nicely. It provides a wide range of motion in all directions, making it easy to position the monitor as needed and to push it well out of the way when not in use.

Thanks for showing me your monitor setup. I really like that setup but after watching Doug Brink's video I think I'd like the monitor closer to the tailstock, which is really easy to do with your setup. I also like the idea of mounting it on the Oneway articulated light arm. Have to ponder this at the cabin over the long weekend.

I like Dennis G clamp setup very much. Think about creating a wood clamp around the pipe of the light stand and clamp his stand to that. Best of both ideas. I do some deep hollowing and see the advantage of being able to swing the monitor closer to the back of the lathe often were I may be standing. But when doing a donut shape hollow form, I would prefer the camera by the headstock. Also the additional bracket allows you to adjust the monitors and the lights almost independently.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Although the pictures do not show it, the base of the unit is clamped to the ways with with a small lever-operated screw on the bottom. The unit can be detached and moved in seconds without tools. Also FWIW, the maximum reach of the unit is 15 inches from the support rod to the monitor attach point.

So this is what my final solution ended up being. I purchased another Oneway swivel light stand from a friend who no longer used it and mounted it to the mounting holes on the back of the lathe. I removed the light and attached a monitor arm designed to bolt to a desktop that I got for cheap on Amazon. Because both the light stand and monitor arm both swivel in a couple of directions, I can easily position the monitor anywhere I like. The mounting plate for the monitor slides on and off the monitor arm in seconds so it is easy to remove the monitor for storage when not in use.

Lathe Monitor Stand Front View.jpg Lathe Monitor Stand Side View.jpg Oneway Light Bracket.jpg Monitor Arm 2.jpg

Back