• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

better quality saftey razor kits

Is there a better quality safety razor kit, other than the same cheap one offered by pretty much every major wood turning supply store? The one I bought that was a butterfly design, fell apart in three months of use.

John,

Locating the cheap safety razor kits can be a challenge at times as they can often be on back order. The razor turning kits for the cartridge style razors seem to be available most of the time. There must be a couple hundred different brands of safety razor blades available in the market and quiet a few people use them to attain a clean close shave, you would think they would make a better offering of turning kits for this style of razor. You can purchase safety razor heads in several different styles and finishes but then you have to source the other fittings to complete the razor handle assembly. If you use a towel and dry the razor blade head off each time you use it, this will make them last longer, water tends to attack the finish on these cheaper razor kits. If you find a better quality kit or source let me know I have also been looking for a better quality safety razor turning kit.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the handle material on a better razor can be replaced with one you turn?

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
John,

I saw the same thing, and also found that people generally prefer a specific type of razor that is different by person. So I’ve switched to making only brushes and soap holders (a lidded bowl). The brush needs a hanger, and no one seems to make one of those either, so I’ve ended up making my own version of that too. In the end, the only thing I find that I can buy is the brush insert. Well that and the raw wood and steel. Here are pics of the brush and holder.

4B7CE929-BC2E-4009-A7F0-FBE08D8463FE.jpeg EFB988A9-CBDF-4CF3-AFD5-AE5B14C80702.jpeg

Kind regards,
Rich

John,

I saw the same thing, and also found that people generally prefer a specific type of razor that is different by person. So I’ve switched to making only brushes and soap holders (a lidded bowl). The brush needs a hanger, and no one seems to make one of those either, so I’ve ended up making my own version of that too. In the end, the only thing I find that I can buy is the brush insert. Well that and the raw wood and steel. Here are pics of the brush and holder.

View attachment 34825 View attachment 34824

Kind regards,
Rich
Fendrihan makes them, black chrome etc. And that’s Canadian dollars. So $10 us. There is a Fendrihan.com also. The usa site. You could also turn a beautiful wood insert like you have done and pry bottom ring a hair and pop it in. D08416E0-9525-47EB-8444-877E5264FE67.png

Last edited:
My
Is there a better quality safety razor kit, other than the same cheap one offered by pretty much every major wood turning supply store? The one I bought that was a butterfly design, fell apart in three months of use.

My advice is to buy a quality safety razor and discard the handle. I have yet to see anyone offering decent heads.

Back