• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Radio interference

I'm getting significant radio interference from my lathe's VFD. Has anyone else had this problem?
If so what are possible fixes? My wife is on my case, she is relentless, need advice before she pays someone to remove my lathe and possibly me!
The lathe is a Laguna 18-36
Thank you

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Possibly the noise is being conducted through the AC wiring. If that is the case, a ferrite choke on the radio receiver power cord may help. It is a simple clamp-on device. One on the lathe power cord close to the VFD box may help if the noise is passed by radiation rather than conduction. Amazon has several choices, one being
X.shine Pack of 10 Snap on Ferrite Core Bead Choke Ring

Radio interference is common with VFD's. But I recall it was only on AM or was it only on FM? Anyway it was one or the other so I usually switched to the one with no interference.

In addition, not all VFD's caused interference.

I have two aftermarket VFDs and they both trash FM reception in the shop which is a separate building away from the house.

Oneway has a fix for the same problem on Oneway lathes.
When I put my Oneway up and ran it, it fowled up all the radios and TV in the house.
Part from Oneway when attached fixed everything.
Part came with directions on how to attach.
Not sure about the Laguna.
Hugh

My powermatic, new this past spring, trashes the AM/FM radio in my shop regardless of what is tuned in. It's a cheap digital probably from wallyworld for 30 bucks so not a great radio to compare anything to. I have a pair of ear muffs with AM/FM radio built in, does not bother it. Nor does it bother pandora/you-tube on my phone connected to my hearing aids. I suspect it's some kind of interference feedback on the power? I just listen to my hearing aids/phone radio stations and all's good.

Last edited:
VFDs frequently put harmonic "noise" on the AC line/system they are connected to. There are filters made to deal with this in industrial large motor applications, but I don't have any experience with consumer solutions. You might try plugging your lathe in through a surge suppressor or through an uninterruptible power supply. I believe some of them have filters that could help the problem.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If I may be permitted to make a couple suggestions:
  • If you see a post that violates the rules, the proper thing to do is report it (or at the very least, just ignore it). Thanks to those who report rule violations. It make the job of moderating much easier
  • The wrong thing to do is responding to the offending post. If you're not the Internet Police then don't act like you are.
  • Even worse than wrong is quoting the offending post. This just adds to the mess that we have to clean up.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm getting significant radio interference from my lathe's VFD. Has anyone else had this problem?
If so what are possible fixes? My wife is on my case, she is relentless, need advice before she pays someone to remove my lathe and possibly me!
Thank you

Generally speaking, VFD interference to radio reception is radiated and not conducted on the power line. However, the house wiring might be acting as a radiating antenna. There are line and load reactors although meant for fixing other problems, might possibly be useful for decoupling the VFD from your house wiring.

I don't know if ferrite cores would be sufficient, but if you try them I would suggest putting them on the three motor leads and use beads that are large enough to wrap several turns of wire through them.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When the Powermatic 3520 came out people.complained of this problem. Powermatic sold some.sort of device to.put on the line. Dont know if they still do. I have never had problems a d run radios all.the time.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have never had a problem with interference from my VFD. I wonder what the difference is between those who do have a problem, and those who don't.....?

Thank you

Ray.......There is a possibility you can get back into good graces with your wife.....by upgrading her to online music. I'm currently using a Sirius XM radio subscription. This runs off an app with your cellphone. I have a Bluetooth external speaker out in my shop. Bluetooth headsets, and earbuds work with it, too. The categories are Pop, Rock, Country, Sports Talk, Comedy, and News/Public Radio.

In addition to that, many radio stations and personalities have online access to their broadcasts, as well......so, even if she has a particular local station, program or personality she can't live without......it's most likely available online, too! :D

-----odie-----

Hmm, never had that problem. My Beauty is 10+ years old, my Liberty is 8 or so, my Vicmark is going on 2. I didn't have problems in the first shop, a 20 by 20 garage, or my second shop a 24 by 36 pole barn, or my new shop with all new wiring. I do have ground fault switches in the shop, but the lathes are on 220 dedicated circuits. My radio is probably 20+ years old too. It has CD play, but no hook up for the modern phone jacks....

robo hippy

Back