• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What wood is this?

I am new so I hope I do this right. I got a piece of block from one of the local wood stores and it looked interesting. There was a light colored streak across the middle and two dark sections on surrounding the light streak. This was on the raw block on the face part.

There was no identifying label and the clerk at the store did not know what it was. So I bought it thinking of what to do with it.

I turned it down to a bowl and the dark streaks disappeared. Turns out it was just discolration from stain of something.

Now it looks like this and came out with a really cool pattern. Problem is, I don't know what type of wood it is.

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 311
Wish we could see a little more of it.

It's definitely spalted.

I'm wondering if it's Cherry.

It has some lighter wood that looks like Cherry's sap wood, and then the darker wood is red like Cherry, with pitch pockets in it.

The only thing that seems to contradict that is the prominent ray flecks on the sapwood.

Cherry does have ray flecks though...

Not sycamore. The rays are much more prominent in sycamore. Not cherry, though I am now convinced by multiple sources that some southern cherry can spalt. Northern stuff is loaded with extractives and lasts for years. So many varieties of soft maples out there that I'd almost bet on that. Even within the same species and from the same log, you can get wildly different color and looks from soft maple.

Here are a couple more shots of it....

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 263
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 263
I might add that this is the original color, I only polished it with French polish so there should not be too much of a discoloratin.

Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
wood?

I'd go for Maple, too. Although I have to say that there are differences between US & UK woods, even of the same species, and my guess is based on UK grown Maple. And on that note it doesn't look like UK grown (spalted) Sycamore.

Andy

Second set of pictures will cause me to go toward sycamore, or Andy's "plane" tree. The ray figure is much more evident. The spalting doesn't follow the pattern I've come to expect from extensive firewood experience with American beech.

American Sycamore or (for our British cousins) London Plane Tree; same tree, different name. In fact, much of what we (US) call Sycamore is actually transplanted Plane. True NA Sycamore is slightly different.

Grain, rays, and even the spalting is very characteristic.

Nice piece. Especially for a "beginner."

m

Definitely not Cherry. The second set of pix rules that out.

I don't think it's Maple either. The rays are too prominent and too big. I've seen Maple with that color before though.

Looks a lot like Beech to me. But then, I've never had any experience with Sycamore either (never seen it cut open).

Wood Identified

Mark Mandell said:
American Sycamore or (for our British cousins) London Plane Tree; same tree, different name. In fact, much of what we (US) call Sycamore is actually transplanted Plane. True NA Sycamore is slightly different.

Grain, rays, and even the spalting is very characteristic.

Nice piece. Especially for a "beginner."

m

Definitely Sycamore. The grain is obvious. It changes as the bowl curve changes. The obvious pattern is the quartersawn grain of sycamore.

John :)

Back