• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding Sealer Prior to Dye?

I just got some Transtint dyes, which I haven't used before. My previous experience with water based analine dyes was that the colors could be blotchy. Is it advisable to use a sanding sealer prior to applying the dyes, in order to get uniform coloring. I would be using a shellac sanding sealer (Seal Kote). Thanks.

That's an interesting question. Unlike many of the basics of turning wood, coloring wood is very subjective. No two turners seem to do it the same and the results are very difficult to replicate. I've done a fair amount of coloring but using a sanding sealer prior to coloring has never crossed my mind. As for advice, all I can say is to try this on a similar piece of scrap wood before risking it on something you've put a lot of work into. I'm interested to see both the results and the suggestions that others come up with.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
if you use sanding sealer first the dye won't penetrate. Although if you sand enough it probably would. Dye typically goes in deeper and darker on end grain than side grain. I would do a test on wood that is similar to what you want to dye.

You can use a wash coat of shellac (1/2# cut) before dyeing to get rid of some blotch, but won't be able to achieve as dark a color. End grain and side grain will differ in absorbtion as previously mentioned, but some woods tend to blotch worse than others - cherry, maple, etc.

Using the dye as a toner will give a more uniform color, but if you are using a lot of dye, can obscure the grain. An air brush can be very helpful in evening out color if that is your goal.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
What Tim said.

If you want it to be as uniform as possible then apply using a spray gun in a relatively light coat. The blotching effect comes in when there's excess material that can be absorbed by the end grain. If you apply only as much as the least absorbent surface will take up the result will be much more uniform.

Prepare your dye in DNA (some folks use acetone, I've never tried it) so you don't raise the grain and need to re-sand after dyeing.

These tops and yo-yos are Broadleaf Maple with some quilting and burl. No sanding sealer used, but I did sand with #600 and Yorkshire Grit after dying, which really smoothed out and mellowed the color effects.
89e6266b721589c388a9628fd6860670.jpg

838ef65ffe83dbf4a42c03155a591aa3.jpg

8ab86e721118a073571e46029d134d58.jpg

Just a comment from someone that doesn't use dyes very often: I always thought the blotches were caused by uneven penetration that occurs in figured woods like maple, therefore using a sealer doesn't seam like a logical solution, I think.

Doesn't Yorkshire grit leave a residual film of wax?
I can't imagine that it would not. I don't know what all is in it, but it changes the color of the wood, so there must be oil or wax in it.

If I am dying the entire piece I don’t use sanding sealer. However if I am dying just an area maybe to highlight a texture band I do. If you don’t the dye will pop out in the adjacent areas because of porosity of the wood. In these cases I use the transient uncut, straight from the bottle.

Some woods take dye better than others. Hard woods do not absorb as much as soft woods. The sanding grit you sand to also affects absorption. Since Ed sands to 600 it reduces absorption and therefore lightens color and shows grain better. As to using a airbrush yes that gives a even color but usually I use multiple colors when I do use it. My favorite way to apply is to blot the color on with a paper towel and then blend with a light spray of DNA. Sealers no I do not use that is for oil based stain in flatwork.

I've had good luck with WD Lockwood - the primary reason for my "good luck" is they have tech support there that can talk you through what you're doing.
While I've only used walnut, the technique is:
1) Sand to 220 or 320
2) Spritz distilled water until it runs off
3) Spritz a very diluted dye and wipe off
4) Let dry and then rub very softly with maroon pad - should have said very very softly - maybe very very very softly
5) If you don't like your first effort, keep going - that's the advantage of using lots of "very" diluted.
6) Finish

Most of their dyes are both water and alcohol soluble - never tried the alcohol..
I know they will sell you a sample kit of five (5) 1-oz packets. The way I mix, you get almost a gallon to one (1) oz packet.

A friend that made one-off conference-room tables and executive furniture (and hated woodturning) told me: Dallas is full of super talented woodworkers that do superior work - they then rush through the finishing with box-store products and hurry to the next masterpiece. The WD Lockwood, along with several others, will give the results you're after - just get good with it.

I'm new to turning as a matter of fact I've only been turning for one year, I just can't find a finish that I like, I've used polyurethane, verathane, paste wax, Mylan's friction polish, boiled linseed oil, etc. What do you guy's use?
Jerry

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Any of the above work well.if you do a good job of sanding. Some may take more coats to give a.glossy finish. I have 3 go to finishes. Mahoneys walnut oil.for user bowls. Spray lacquer for glass like glossy. This I rub out with automotive finishes to get perfect gloss. Minwax wipe on poly that i buff with the Beale buffing system for 90 percent of my work. With proper sanding the minwax gives me a glossy but thin n natural looking finish.

Thank's I have used the Minwax and Watco wipe on poly on some of my bowls but I seem to keep getting lines on my finished work, I've tried sanding up to 1200 grit but they still show, I am not familiar with the buffing system you mentioned.
Thank you,
Jerry

Jerry, if you have lines in your finished surface my guess is that it is most likely from inadequate sanding. I know you've gone up to 1200 grit, but p1200 paper is not going to remove a p180 scratch.

It would be good to know what your sanding routine is, but here are some general suggestions for your consideration:
1. Start sanding one grit more coarse than you've been doing.
2. Before sanding lightly scrible over the surface with a pencil. Sand uniformly until the pencil marks are removed. You have now removed a complete micro layer of wood, and you've gotten an idea of how long to sand.
3. Repeat the above with your first grit. It is the most important one.
4. Advance to the next grit. Don't skip grits. Some people would call these half steps, but this is the sequence I use: 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600.... (I don't necessarily start with 60).
5. After 180 and finer wipe down the surface with mineral spirits. This cleans off the dust and gives a preview of what a finish will look like and highlights any scratch marks.

After you've gained some confidence, you can skip some steps, e.g. the pencil scrible.

I'm new to turning as a matter of fact I've only been turning for one year, I just can't find a finish that I like, I've used polyurethane, verathane, paste wax, Mylan's friction polish, boiled linseed oil, etc. What do you guy's use?
Jerry

Jerry, on bowls and platters I use polymerized tung oil. Easy to apply, and you can get everything from a satin to fairly glossy finish depeding on number of coats. It is also very easy to "repair", just buff with steel wool and add another coat. The polymerzied oil dries in 8 hours or less vs the regular tung which takes days to dry.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I just got some Transtint dyes, which I haven't used before. My previous experience with water based analine dyes was that the colors could be blotchy. Is it advisable to use a sanding sealer prior to applying the dyes, in order to get uniform coloring. I would be using a shellac sanding sealer (Seal Kote). Thanks.

As Curtis said, it's very subjective. One question that should ask yourself is what is your objective ... two very different objectives include accentuating the figure as in the tops and yo-yos that Ed Davidson showed and toning the wood ... for example, the sunburst finish on a Stratocaster. If you want to accentuate the figure then apply the dye to bare wood. If you want to do toning then the dye is layered on top of layers of finish.

Back