• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

You Know your are a Woodturner when.....

Let's find all the comedians on this forum during these trying times.
Please Feel Free to complete the following Statement:

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A WOODTURNER when....

example:
You know you're a woodturner when you see a hollow form and trust your finger deep inside its tiny opening struggling to feel its interior finish.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Too funny, I've done em all - followed chain saw sounds, turned around with my family in the car to check out a log in the ditch, climbed up into a very gnarly pile of honey locust thorns for one more piece, searched for a free flat surface to put the latest finished one on.

My addition - looking for my dog and finding him asleep in the pile of shavings from the bowl I'm working on. When it's hot they feel cool I guess.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I remember taking a pile.of brush to the dump one time and finding an ambrosia maple.log. we are not allowed to remove things from the dump and they weigh your truck or trailer entering and leaving. I loaded the log on the trailer and crossed my fingers. I know my trailer weighed more going out than coming in but the lady didnt say a word and waved me through.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
You are laying out your new shop and planning where to place the lathes so that the spread of the chips is minimized, where to place your tools and many jigs, and where to place the sharpening equipment ..... and wondering why anyone would waste valuable space with a table saw!

My father use to say" It's an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good". Well 3 years ago a hurricane blew through here and laid a lot of trees down. I got a call from a tree service and went to look. Two enormous Black Cherry trees ( 28"+ in Dia) were laying on the ground. The owner of the house was there and I told him I would make him a bowl from each tree. I was commiserating with him about his loss while trying hard not to dance a jig thinking about all the bowls I was going to make. Does this make me a bad person?

You're riding your bike down a compacted stone bike path and glance left and right for 20 miles looking for trees that the forest preserve district occasionally chain saws and you almost lose control when you vear off the path while spotting a log that looks promising. You mutter out loud "holy S&IT" as you ALMOST wipe out into the poison ivy.

You know your a woodturner when you refuse to saw off the last 1/4 inch of a bowl, platter or hollow form. After all, the bottom is the most important part of the piece.

It must be turned away while it is still on the lathe at any cost.

You are driven to buy vacuum chucks, jumbo jaws, mega jaws, long worth chucks, donut chucks of various sizes, Kelton Mandrels and tailstock accessories etc..

I know that I am a woodturner because I own all of the above(approx $2,000).

I Am embarrassed to say that still I may have to use a jam chuck and tailstock on occasion.

If another type of holding gizmo is out there for this purpose that I have not mentioned, I will be driven to buy it or make it.
Why??
Because I’m a woodturner.

Last edited:
Back