• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 2 HP Dust Collector

Wondering if anyone that might have this dust collector has run into this problem. The wire basket inside the collection bucket comes apart as the nuts loosen with vibration. I think they used bolts and nuts so they could ship the unit flat but I'm not sure because I got my assembled at Woodcraft. I'm thinking of replacing the lost bolts and nuts and then using epoxy and making them permanent. I'm not sure how well loc tight would work. Anxious to hear your thoughts.
nut 2.jpg nut.jpg

I have the same dust collector, but haven't had any problems with the basket (so far). What I would suggest, and will do myself if needed, is to replace all the nuts & bolts in the basket with steel pop rivets and backing washers. Don't think those would come apart very easily.
HTH

A very old trick to keep bolts and nuts from ever loosening is to peen the the end of the bolt using a ball peen hammer. The excess length of the bolt may need to be hack sawed off to about 1/16" beyond the nut.

Back