• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wooden vases

Hi, For some reason I seem to turn a lot of vases. Some of them have voids, some don't but they are all made of wood. The wife claims there are some kind of plastic vase inserts you can just stick in there, but a) I don't believe her, and b) even if there were I'd basically just be turning a straight hole, I could use a fostners bit by god. That's no fun.
Anyway, I was wondering if any of y'all had some ideas or experiences in this area.
Thanks,
Raif

I have made plastic inserts for some of mine. Just because you have a insert doesn’t mean you just drill a hole. I still turn and hollow the same otherwise the vase will be heavy and clunky. The insert just provides a option to have real flowers.

Tim, Google is our friend today but wait till they turn on us. But I digress :) What key words are you searching for, because I did search and didn't see much except for straight test tube type inserts.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I've wondered whether it's possible to use a blow molding process to create a perfectly fitted plastic liner for any shape closed vessel one might make. Knowing nothing about the process it seems at least theoretically possible. I suppose that a viscous epoxy rolled around he inside might accomplish the same end.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Great information everyone, thanks! Curtis, yes, I agree, but it seems with out that utilitarian property then end up in a cabinet ( along with a growing hoard of Tim Burton-esque bowls and such ). I'm just competing for real estate with my wife. But you point is well made and certainly a purchased piece would be appreciated as such.

The vases I turn will take as insert plastic bottle, gator aid, or larger depending on the size vase. Found it to cut bottom, seal top and insert cap down. Also have receive pictures of teenage girls using them to hold all there make up brushes.

Epoxy heated prior to mixing the 2 parts will become syrupy and pourable. Once mixed, you can try to 'paint' it on the inside, or just pour it in and rotate the vase by hand to coat the entire inside. We've done that with goblets, and vases would be similar, though you can go through quite a bit of epoxy, depending on size. Be aware that the heated epoxy will cure a little faster than usual.

What do y'all think about laquer or a wipe on poly or something? Do you think that would be harder? Easier? Not durable?
Thanks

If your vase design allows, You can always buy a smaller glass vase from the dollar store and insert it Into your wood vase. This way you can avoid those nasty chemicals.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
A question that has been bugging me over this whole thread -- why does the liner have to follow the contours of the interior of the wooden vase? Sure, make a nice hollow form vase, but why can't you just put a cylindrical glass tube liner in it? (maybe you would need to make a socket in the bottom of the vase for the glass tube to register in and remain vertical, but so what?)

Nothing says waterproof like glass and plastic, so that's the approach I would take, including designing the vase around available inserts.

Flower arranging is itself an art form (my wife actually took classes and is certified) so it is worth considering what arrangements the chosen insert would best support and designing the vase to showcase that aesthetic.

Back