• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Florida symposium cancelled for 2021

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Got an Email yesterday announcing that the 2021 Florida Symposium is cancelled.

The Florida Woodturning Symposium Committee has unanimously decided to cancel the Florida Woodturning Symposium scheduled for February 5-7, 2021.
This difficult decision was made because we were not certain we could maintain the required social-distancing necessary to protect our attendees from potential exposure to COVID-19.

If you have access to any news media you know Covid 19 is wide spread in Florida.

stay safe

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Got an Email yesterday announcing that the 2021 Florida Symposium is cancelled.

The Florida Woodturning Symposium Committee has unanimously decided to cancel the Florida Woodturning Symposium scheduled for February 5-7, 2021.
This difficult decision was made because we were not certain we could maintain the required social-distancing necessary to protect our attendees from potential exposure to COVID-19.

If you have access to any news media you know Covid 19 is wide spread in Florida.

stay safe
I keep hoping that things are going to get better. I visit my family once a year in Argentina. I have been teaching woodturning there for about 4 years. Doug Thompson donated about 20 tools for the school there and Dale Larson donated a new Vicmarc VM120 chuck. Nobody can travel now. I'm starting to get worried. They are anxiously waiting for everything. I sure do hope I get to see my mom
in 2021.

U have good reason to be concerned....read article about some folks in roanoke va having China plague twice....i thought they were using antibiotics from healed victims to build a vaccine.....guess thats out ....it was in Google news and who knows what's true....

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
The state of testing is so messed up that many of the tests, especially early on, were incorrect. It's thought that most cases being reported of a second infection are actually the result of false positive test results in the first instance. I'm not aware of a properly confirmed case of a second infection, not to say it can't happen. The virus includes a component that blocks one of our primary immune responses, so it is not as straightforward as some.

I've been encouraged by the early trial results that are being reported, some of the worst-case scenarios are being ruled out. Managing this thing until we get widespread rollout of an effective vaccine (I'm guessing 12 months if everything goes perfectly, 18 wouldn't surprise me at all) is not rocket surgery; face masks, hand washing, and reasonable social distancing would dramatically cut the disease incidence, as the rest of the world has shown us. That's assuming the anti-vax morons don't carry the day.

It does seem very unlikely that Florida will be safe for an older demographic to gather in by February, cancelling is a good choice. Looking forward to ever-improving remote interaction.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Sooner or later the state or the nation will treat the virus with respect. South Korea has a working plan.
The have fans at Baseball games

Florida - population 22 million - Covid deaths 7,000
South Korea - population 52 million - Covid deaths 301

I have known a few South Koreans and even taught a spreadsheet class to a group of south
Korean soldiers (I worked for DoD and we did things for our allies). My impression is the ones I met and worked with were all smart and educated. A lot of Floridians are smart and well educated.

How can we be so far behind the Koreans in dealing with the Covid-19 virus.
The average South Korean is not that much better educated than the average Floridian.
There medical system is not that much better than Florida’s.

Florida’s poor performance in controlling the spread of the virus is adversely affecting the woodturning community.

"Florida’s poor performance in controlling the spread of the virus is adversely affecting the woodturning community."

Not just the woodturning community! I know some FL full time residents may like this, but the snowbird exodus to Florida may not happen this year as most are seniors. We just cancelled our condo reservation for the month of January as the state leadership/residents do not seem concerned with stopping it.

No snowbirds - watch what happens to the FL economy!

(sorry for getting off topic/political for this site!)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I know some FL full time residents may like this, but the snowbird exodus to Florida may not happen this year
Not too far off topic.
That affects the Florida Symposium a bit also. They get attendees from far off Colorado, Maryland, etc.
Our woodturning clubs swell in the winter.

tourism is money and jobs. A down fall in tourism has a huge ripple effect that has an adverse impact on club and symposium revenues.

oddly one of the safest places to be in the state might be a Disney theme park. They implement the CDC rules and ban guests who don’t follow them.

Sooner or later the state or the nation will treat the virus with respect. South Korea has a working plan.

I have known a few South Koreans and even taught a spreadsheet class to a group of south
Korean soldiers (I worked for DoD and we did things for our allies). My impression is the ones I met and worked with were all smart and educated. A lot of Floridians are smart and well educated.

The average South Korean is not that much better educated than the average Floridian.

Florida’s poor performance in controlling the spread of the virus is adversely affecting the woodturning community.
It’s called leadership. And the South Koreans also have respect built into there very being. If a leader says do this they do it for the good of the whole. I watch tv in us and Canada and all I see is people complaining about there rights and why they should not wear a mask and not worry about there neighbours or friends. I believe it is a society thing.

I had a S Korean roommate in college and found him to be intelligent and rather retiring . He did not speak English well and was a graduate student so he socialized more with the suitemate, however I still remember his name, something I cannot say about many others I had many classes with.

As to Florida just look at the beach pictures and say anything is being done. I think there has been a lack of respect for the disease but also many errors in reporting "cause of death" . Possibly many cases only have Covid19 as a contributing factor and not "the" cause.

Like everyone else this is impacting the economy as a whole and changing the way we will possibly live and work in the future or at least the foreseeable future.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Counting deaths at this point in the game is hard, we shouldn't expect accurate numbers for several years after the epidemiologists and statisticians have sorted out all the various counting errors and agreed on criteria. Unfortunately by then no one will care (I hope).

The number that is very likely to be correct, because it is very easy to count and is routinely reported, is excess total deaths-- ie the total number of deaths from all causes vs historical values for the same period. If you look at that, the likely Covid numbers are both obvious and large. You don't need a statistician to tell you something bad is going on. I'm not sure quibbling about the exact numbers now gets anyone anywhere, aside from the news organizations and politicians attempting to make their sundry cases and fill way too much airtime with babble.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Any time reports are submitted and tabulated by humans they are subject to a myriad of errors so the totals are likely wrong.

Whether the true number of deaths is 160,000. 200,000 or 100,000
All are terrible results compared to South Korea. 300 deaths for a population of 52million people

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Like everyone else this is impacting the economy as a whole and changing the way we will possibly live and work in the future or at least the foreseeable future.

looks like MS is having a lot of positives for COVID.
Stay safe.

someday it will dawn on folks that the virus can’t see state boundaries.

I’m not sure the amount of educated people is the issue! More likely the greater number of dummies is the factor that should be followed! Bottom line, it is affecting our woodturning world, no more than the tourism world, the culinary world, the whole world! First treatment for Covid 19 - de-politicize it!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I’m not sure the amount of educated people is the issue! More likely the greater number of dummies is the factor that should be followed! Bottom line, it is affecting our woodturning world, no more than the tourism world, the culinary world, the whole world! First treatment for Covid 19 - de-politicize it!

it is affecting all aspects of our lives but this is a woodturning forum.
Two of the cornerstones of AAW chapter meetings and symposiums have been greatly affected

I think poor science education has a lot to do with our population behaving so badly.

How else could a health care emergency with proven mitigation techniques Working worldwide become a controversial issue.

looks like MS is having a lot of positives for COVID.
Stay safe.

someday it will dawn on folks that the virus can’t see state boundaries.

Looks like on a per capita basis we are almost up there with you.

Back