• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Target Coatings

I have used their EM6000 water-based lacquer on furniture, but not on any turnings. I sprayed it on a side table I built to match our dining room table. The results on furniture have been excellent, held up well for the last ten years, but you will find it is a bit 'cooler' in appearance than a catellized nitrocellulose lacquer.

I use the EM6000 lacquer. It does burn in to previous coats like a nitro lacquer. I find that the color is closer to a nitro lacquer than any other water based finish though. If I want more warmth in the color coat it with a dewaxed shellac first. They sell a water based shellac too that works good too.
I would sometimes prefer a nitro lacquer, but my shop is attached to the house and I hear about it from the wife ☹

I’ve used EM6000 before on guitars and found it was similar to nitrocellulose lacquer in several ways. Though it doesn’t pop the grain or figure of the wood nearly as much as a solvent finish. Shellac as a sealer does pop the grain. Too thick a coat will give a bluish cast to the finish. I sprayed and then sanded/buffed.

I’ve used EM6000 before on guitars and found it was similar to nitrocellulose lacquer in several ways. Though it doesn’t pop the grain or figure of the wood nearly as much as a solvent finish. Shellac as a sealer does pop the grain. Too thick a coat will give a bluish cast to the finish. I sprayed and then sanded/buffed.
I use target stuff all the time. I think I use the Em1000 Sanding sealer on exotic woods, it is formulated to pop the grain as close to what the Nitrocellulose lacquer does. Also use the additive in the finish coats as it makes the finish more durable to Lchol and harder.

so crosslinker ( must be mixed properly and sat for hours to bond with the em6000 before spraying) with the em6000 And retarder when hot outside. Also remember just because it doesn’t smell as bad as the old lacquer doesn’t mean it isn’t just as dangerous. Some water base finishes are actually worse for you than the old finishes. So where a respirator when spraying.

Last edited:

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I just refinished an ornately carved antique rosewood player organ with EM1000 sanding sealer and EM2000 as the topcoat, my first venture into spray finishing. It went really (surprisingly) well, and I am well pleased with the outcome. It's not as nice a finish as a French polish, but a lot more durable I expect. It looks pretty comparable to the Waterlox samples I prepared in parallel while deciding what to do.

If you want to use their stuff it's worth getting on the email list, they routinely offer 20-30% off discount codes.

Back