• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mobility Solution

Does anyone know of a good way to be able roll around a lathe like a Vicmarc vl300. Casters or something like they make for the Powermatics. I've seen a pic of a Vl300 on casters with what looked like something you could step on to raise & lower it but couldn't tell what they were. Thank you

I'm assuming that you've checked with Vicmarc and are looking for something else. If that's the case then I suggest looking at the Portamate 3500 or 3550.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I will have.to wait until.i get home to send you photos of my removable wheels that I made for my Powermatic. Indo have to lift each end with a small hydraulic lift to install them ut it only takes.me a.couple.of minutes and the wheels are large enough to roll across small.objects that would stop other caster systems and of course when o remove them the lathe is on solid ground. I will try to remember to post monday.

I will have.to wait until.i get home to send you photos of my removable wheels that I made for my Powermatic. Indo have to lift each end with a small hydraulic lift to install them ut it only takes.me a.couple.of minutes and the wheels are large enough to roll across small.objects that would stop other caster systems and of course when o remove them the lathe is on solid ground. I will try to remember to post monday.
Thank you I would appreciate it.

If you are talking about just moving your lathe from one place to another...then the cheapest solution is to buy a couple of those Harbor Freight roller dollies (1000 lb) for $15 apiece and use a car jack to place them under your lathe legs. Works like a champ.
https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61897.html
Thx for the idea and that would be what I would use to move it a long way once in a blue moon. But I work in a small space and need to move it 6 inches to a foot most days for clearance depending on what I'm doing

I'm assuming that you've checked with Vicmarc and are looking for something else. If that's the case then I suggest looking at the Portamate 3500 or 3550.
I appreciate the Portamate suggestion, in fact I have the 2500 on my midi lathe, but the 3500 isn't big enough for the Vic. Weight wise yes, length and width no.

I do not have any experience with casters on machine tools, but my bandsaw buddies swear by these. - John
https://www.zambus.com/products/ac-0300s.html
Thank you, those are interesting, do they raise and lower so the lathe rests on the floor until you want to move it? If so how difficult is it to raise and lower them? Thanks again, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

When I got my Vic 240, I asked Christian, the owner of Woodworker's Emporium about a mobility kit for the lathe and he commented some thing like 'when you get it in place, why would you ever move it?'

Chris, some one said that 'efficiency is intelligent laziness'. You are master level! Love that set up. The problem with most caster wheel set ups, if you leave them in place, they are in the way if you have a sliding headstock and use it. Never liked the Laguna set up or the castor ones shown up above. That screw gun set up looks like there could be many applications...

robo hippy

Thank you for the kind words, but I cannot take any credit for it. I got the idea from another poster on another forum.

I just put it into practice.

Our chapter has a PM with a setup by a member. On the tailstock end are two wheel that just barely clear the floor. The headstock end has a crank trailer lift. When you raise the lift, the other wheels touch and you can roll the lathe. When the crank is lowered all the way, all four legs are solid on the floor.

Our chapter has a PM with a setup by a member. On the tailstock end are two wheel that just barely clear the floor. The headstock end has a crank trailer lift. When you raise the lift, the other wheels touch and you can roll the lathe. When the crank is lowered all the way, all four legs are solid on the floor.
Thank you. How did he mount the trailer jack lift onto the lathe, drill holes into the legs?

I can't recall exactly. I think there were some 2x4s there somewhere. Won't going to meetings for a long time so a photo won't be forthcoming.

Each "cam lever" has to lift half of the lathe and that load will be transferred to the dolly. There isn't really a joint involved, unless you are talking about the "L" shape of the cam lever.

Each "cam lever" has to lift half of the lathe and that load will be transferred to the dolly. There isn't really a joint involved, unless you are talking about the "L" shape of the cam lever.
Yes that's what I was thinking. The lateral force on that joint. It's nothing like if the lathe is just sitting on a 2x2. He's probably just lifting 50 or 70 lbs on each side. Don't know if I would go through the trouble while doubting it would work, but grateful for the consideration. Thanks again.

Yes that's what I was thinking. The lateral force on that joint. It's nothing like if the lathe is just sitting on a 2x2. He's probably just lifting 50 or 70 lbs on each side. Don't know if I would go through the trouble while doubting it would work, but grateful for the consideration. Thanks again.

Vic that is one of the simplest wheeled tool mobility ideas I have ever seen. Do not underestimate the power of a simple lever. Very powerful and difficult to overcome. Look at the banjo and tailstock lever on your lathes.........simple lever with a twist.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Here is my solution. Not a good one if you need to move the lathe frequently but very good if you have to move it over an uneven surface. I rolled it across a gravel area when I had to move to a new shop. I use a cheap hydraulic lift to lift them. then the rollers are place in place. The hole in the middle is for the jack. I have half inch diameter lag bolts through the metal. I wondered if that would be strong enough but I've moved this lathe in a moving van 4 times now and even loaned them out to friends so apparently they do hold up. It does take a few minutes to install them but not very long. The biggest issue is storing them when not in use. Right now they sit in corner of my Dust collector room so they are out of the way. In my last shop I was constantly having to move them because no matter where I put them sooner or later they would be in the way.

Attachments

• lathe rollers 2.JPG
    lathe rollers 2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 85
  • lathe rollers 3.jpg
    lathe rollers 3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 79
Vic that is one of the simplest wheeled tool mobility ideas I have ever seen. Do not underestimate the power of a simple lever. Very powerful and difficult to overcome. Look at the banjo and tailstock lever on your lathes.........simple lever with a twist.
I appreciate that, but aren't those mostly steel. What do you think might happen if you used a 4x4 as a fulcrum then tried to raise a 650 lb lathe by pushing down on a 2x2. I'm certainly not an engineer but I would be afraid of it snapping, and that would be a solid piece of wood. Much weaker I would think with two pieces joined and used laterally. I wonder if anyone has does this with that kind of weight or seen it done? 1x1 steel would probably be better don't you think? Even then pushing down on a relatively short lever to lift half of 650 lbs wouldn't be very easy either. Thank you for the discussion, it's interesting and who know might just work.

Here is my solution. Not a good one if you need to move the lathe frequently but very good if you have to move it over an uneven surface. I rolled it across a gravel area when I had to move to a new shop. I use a cheap hydraulic lift to lift them. then the rollers are place in place. The hole in the middle is for the jack. I have half inch diameter lag bolts through the metal. I wondered if that would be strong enough but I've moved this lathe in a moving van 4 times now and even loaned them out to friends so apparently they do hold up. It does take a few minutes to install them but not very long. The biggest issue is storing them when not in use. Right now they sit in corner of my Dust collector room so they are out of the way. In my last shop I was constantly having to move them because no matter where I put them sooner or later they would be in the way.
Very ingenious but unfortunately I work in a very small area and have to move my lathe 6 inches to a foot often.

To move my Vic 240, I used an 8 foot 4 X 4, a block of 6 X 6 walnut, and the little 4 wheel dollies. Put a rope on the dolly, left it under the middle of the Vic, levered the end up, and pulled the rope to move the dolly under the legs, one handed. Repeated on the other end. I keep thinking of a jack of some sort like Chris did, but mounted on the inside part of the lathe legs so they are out of the way when turning off of the end, and a screw gun to raise and lower it..... You can move mountains with levers...

robo hippy

I have a spare pair of jacks that I used for my cabinet lift. I got a 4 pack and only needed two.

They are just going to collect dust, like many other things in my garage.

I estimate it would be $35-$40 to ship these. So if somebody would like them, I'll ship them to anyone in the lower 48 States for $40.

caedwards874 at gmail dot com

I appreciate that, but aren't those mostly steel. What do you think might happen if you used a 4x4 as a fulcrum then tried to raise a 650 lb lathe by pushing down on a 2x2. I'm certainly not an engineer but I would be afraid of it snapping, and that would be a solid piece of wood. Much weaker I would think with two pieces joined and used laterally. I wonder if anyone has does this with that kind of weight or seen it done? 1x1 steel would probably be better don't you think? Even then pushing down on a relatively short lever to lift half of 650 lbs wouldn't be very easy either. Thank you for the discussion, it's interesting and who know might just work.

Nothing says you have to use his dimensions. Use a 2x4 hardwood for the bottom and a 4x4 of any kind for the lever. However I do not think it needs that much. My old TS setup uses a 1x2 about 8 inches long. The picture is the one on my sanding station but the same plan.
Sanding station.JPG

That isn’t a 2X2 it’s at least a 2X3. A 2X2 would provide 0 lift as it is the same thickness with the handle horizontal or vertical edge the 2X3 provides lift when “levered” into position. This is a class 1 lever. One of those “levers” will probably lift your 650lb lathe with very little effort.

I have a spare pair of jacks that I used for my cabinet lift. I got a 4 pack and only needed two.

They are just going to collect dust, like many other things in my garage.

I estimate it would be $35-$40 to ship these. So if somebody would like them, I'll ship them to anyone in the lower 48 States for $40.

caedwards874 at gmail dot com
Any pics of the jacks possible?

Thank you all once again. I am amazed at how many ingenious ways everyone comes up with to accomplish a task. And the time you take to help. I think all things considered that the self leveling casters here: https://www.zambus.com/products/ac-0300s.html suggested by John King are the way to go for me. They can hold up to 2400 lbs, install them once and it's a simple turning of a wheel to raise & lower them, out of the way, easy, simple & nothing to store. I've never been accused of being smart or handy so that's why I like their solution. If anyone can see an obvious failing to this I would sure appreciate knowing about it. Been waiting a long time to buy a full size lathe, just trying to get all my ducks in a row and the last one was dealing with my small space & how to be able to easily move it around, 6 to 12 inches when needed so I could use it the way I want. Thank you all again

You can see them at the 3:17 mark in the video in post #13
That's a great idea. Don't know how I missed those jacks. You could just keep a piece of wood the length of your lathe under it and on top of the two jacks, if they'll collapse enough and your lathes layout is accommodating. Thanks again, will seriously look into it when the time comes. Just waiting for things to get back into stock so I can buy the lathe now that the last hurdle is gone. Thanks again. And to all as well

Back