• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Epoxy finish for a shave bowl

I'm looking for some advice on 2 part mix ratios to apply to a new shaving bowl. I have Wests 2 part epoxy as well as west 2 part epoxy sealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't change the ratio or add thinner, but you could warm the mixing bowl in hot water to reduce the viscosity if you wanted to. Not recommended though if you are using a fast catalyst.

Interesting to see that Alumilite can be brushed on. I would think one or two coats of that would be as impermeable to water as any plastic. Is it durable?

I actually turn with a recess which I usually leave—just sand and finish like the rest of the piece-so it hasn’t been an issue for me—the only issue I have is cost of materials when making a ‘wasted wood bowl’ or mug

Back