• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Off topic... sorta

Question, although not specific about turning, it's about my ability to get wood for turning. More about my chainsaws ability to cut my wood down to size from logs... LOL

Any chainsaw mechanics here? I have a 10yr old Stilhl that has worked flawlessly for most it's life. I went to start it, now nothing. No spark. 2 spark plugs were tried, still nothing. It does not appear to have any spark. Laying plug against metal and pulling cord, no spark I can see. Cleaned/dried plugs, set gap, no fire. After a couple pulls, the plug is wet with gas as should be so not a fuel supply problem. I got irritated and did something I hate to do, gave a quick shot of either, no fire. I have never had an engine not atleast sputter when shot with starting fluid so it has to be what, a mag?
Is this easily fixed, or should I just bite the bullet and pick up a new saw? This saw has not sat long since I've owned it, I have easily felled 5-600 trees with this as we go through a lot of firewood every year. It has never failed me, until yesterday. I *NEED* to cut some wood for my turning, already going through withdrawals...... HELP... LOL

Like working on cars, that is what mechanics are for.... I have a local saw shop that I trust. I have no problems starting my Husky, but my Sthil gives me fits...

robo hippy

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I'm no saw mechanic - if it were my saw, I'd fiddle with a couple obvious/easy things, then give in and just take it to a good saw shop.
But sounds like it could be wiring (broken or shorted) or a bad/dirty start switch, or could be the ignition module gave out. Good luck.

I've encountered this problem on many small engines and if the plugs and plug wires are good, the wires from the coil are good, 90% of the time I find a bad coil. Sometimes the coil is under the magneto but not always. Good luck with your saw!

Don’t forget to check the air filter. My Stihl sometimes won’t start and most of the time the air filter is blocked. A few blasts of compressed air fixes this problem.

On my Stihl, it is very easy for the spark plug wire to disconnect right at the connector inside the boot that goes over the spark plug.

Not chain saw, but I suddenly lost spark on my lawnmower on the weekend. First thought was a new coil needed but I Googled about adjustments. Adjusted the magneto coil position relative to the magnet in the flywheel and using a small drum sander on my Dremel cleaned up any metal contacts for rust and corrosion where magneto seats on the aluminum casting and the ground wire connection. Starts and runs fine now.

First thing to do is to google with pertinent details "No spark, Stihl Chainsaw"

About a year or so ago, I am cutting wood. Saw is working just fine.
I turned the saw off for a bit to load wood into the truck. Went to finish cutting and the saw would not start.
It had run perfectly for 6-7 years. Just all of a sudden would not start. Took it to the local repair shop as I know little about fixing chainsaws.
Turns out the magneto quit. Just up and quit on me. They fixed that and off we go again .....no problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a new air filter, no fix, 2 extra plugs, no fix, dumped the gas which was not very old, refilled with fresh, no go. I blow my saw clean between uses when I can. So, here I was, saw in hand headed for the truck. Closest repair shop is a 60 minute drive round trip. I figured, why not.. and gave the rope a yank. Silly thing sputtered... so I set her down, on the 3rd yank, she fired. Ran like a hit and miss, act like it was dying then fire again. This went on for a couple minutes, finally was able to give her some throttle. Ran full steam but missing. Another minute or so, she was purring like a kitten.... darn saws... grrrrr. Cut some wood and had a good day turning, minus one oh-poop. Fixed that and had a great day! I guess me telling it I was going to drop her off at the shop and go buy me a new saw for a backup... Who knew saws had feelings! I bet the problem pops back up.
Again, thanks everyone!

My cordless gasless saw doesn't have any of those starting problems plus I can use it inside without asphyxiating myself.

I have one of those, I'm not too impressed with it. Cuts real small stuff easily but trying to cut a 12 inch log down to size, it bogs down quite a bit and stops, over heats and shuts down and both batteries last about 3-4 minutes and goes dead. It's an EGO 14 inch about 2 weeks old. I was hoping it would work better so I would not have to fiddle with the gas saws for short/quick jobs.

I have one of those, I'm not too impressed with it. Cuts real small stuff easily but trying to cut a 12 inch log down to size, it bogs down quite a bit and stops, over heats and shuts down and both batteries last about 3-4 minutes and goes dead. It's an EGO 14 inch about 2 weeks old. I was hoping it would work better so I would not have to fiddle with the gas saws for short/quick jobs.
I never heard of that brand! The one that I have is a name brand that uses 2 18 volt lithium 5 amp hour batteries that last much more than 3-4 minutes

An outdoor magazine tested some battery chain saws and, overall, they were good. Can't remember the #1, though. Keep in mind this was cutting small trees and limbs to clear for hunting. I have a HF corded saw that does good for what I need. Anything big, I fire up the Poulan saw.

Old gas in a chainsaw that sits over the winter can cause the carburetor to gum up, deposits in the carburetor is what causes the engine to run rough until the debris gets cleaned out of the small needle jet orifices. The plastic fuel lines used on chainsaws tend to go bad after so many years of use and different fuel additives can also degrade the plastic and rubber diaphragms in the carburetor. If you do leave fuel in the chainsaw you should use some fuel stabilizer to prevent the gas from gumming up the works.

Old gas in a chainsaw that sits over the winter can cause the carburetor to gum up, deposits in the carburetor is what causes the engine to run rough until the debris gets cleaned out of the small needle jet orifices. The plastic fuel lines used on chainsaws tend to go bad after so many years of use and different fuel additives can also degrade the plastic and rubber diaphragms in the carburetor. If you do leave fuel in the chainsaw you should use some fuel stabilizer to prevent the gas from gumming up the works.
A number of years ago, our guild hosted a technical speaker from Stihl. The two best things I got from it (I own a Stihl chainsaw & trimmer & blower) was to use at least 89 Octane gas and use Stihl 2 cycle oil because it contains a fuel stabilizer. I buy the Super Octane 91 usually and have no problems with mixed fuel that ends up being over six months old.

A number of years ago, our guild hosted a technical speaker from Stihl. The two best things I got from it (I own a Stihl chainsaw & trimmer & blower) was to use at least 89 Octane gas and use Stihl 2 cycle oil because it contains a fuel stabilizer. I buy the Super Octane 91 usually and have no problems with mixed fuel that ends up being over six months old.
I believe that’s true with all small engines. I’ve seen notices on my chainsaws, Honda lawn mower etc. Do not use 89 ethonal gas! Only premium.

As far as the spark goes it is possible the ignition module is bad. It is usually a fairly inexpensive part especially if you go off brand.

For gas I was just reminded a year or so ago that with a little looking there are still stations that sell ethanol free gas. It costs a little more but I use it now for all my two cycle mixes.

Premium gas works okay in chainsaws and lawn mowers, but they are much more happy if you run 93 to 96 clear.... I do mean that are MUCH more happy on the clear gas...

robo hippy

All I can find locally is 89 clear so I use that in everything from string trimmers, lawn mower and my gas tractors. I even run that in my motobike, never been a fan of ethanol. If I don't immediately use the gas up, I put some Stabil or Seafoam in it.

Back