• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tell me who you liked on the AAW symposium

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Tbvanks e eryone for your opinions.. I got back in town a d was able to see part of Cindy's demo. I still.had work to do and I had runs camera for her at the TAW symposium so I had already seen it. It did get back in and caught most of the discussion on using media for marketing. Ill.sit down in the next few days and watch all.of of that one.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I felt sort of embarrassed for Mike Mahoney. He had some tech glitches and really didn't have much interesting info. It really could've been time spent much better than it was. I was also sort of disappointed in the critique. The selection of pieces for discussion was very odd and they seemed to struggle for things to say about them. I had really looked forward to both the Mahoney segment and the critique, but probably should've turned off the computer and gone for a motorcycle ride or over to my shop instead.

Trent Bosch did a great hollowing demo and Glenn Lucas did an outstanding job with his opening demo on the beaded bowl, as well as Rudy Lopez demo of his goblets. Honestly, I had thought the beaded bowl and the thin stem goblet were going to be my least favorites, but they have turned out to be my highlights so far.

I thought Mike's was very unusual for Mike, he is a great presenter... then he noted the file he had prepared disappeared off the computer and this was what he put together the night before.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Some additional thoughts:

Cindy and Rudy's use of live video editing and green screens to show simultaneous camera's really helped make their rotations.
Glen and Trent's use of someone "off camera" to help with the work flow really helped their rotations as well.

The critique presenters need to know how to put together a slide show. By not maximizing the usable field (they were about 1/3 the size they could have been) they made the items they were discussing so difficult to see we simply walked away. Now it wasn't the size of our screen as we had the video up on our 54 inch screen.

Which brings up another point, how the -viewer- is getting their feed really matters also. We use a hard-wire ether-net from the router to the computer. Trying to stream good resolution video over your local wifi is full of, well, possible problems. If you thought the video was too low res, it might have been at your end. On our 54 inch screen it was fine.

A lot of the "viewers" need more experience on using Zoom too. As shown by the constant "the chat's blocking the screen" complaints.

My honest opinion is that -all- future AAW symposiums need to have part of the program streamed, live. Going by the, what 3900 people signed up, it's a popular idea.

I'm the shoe on the other foot:D These Zoom demos are better for me than the actual symposium. If you are there to learn you see so much more in the Zoom demo and you don't have to sit 2" away from people on either side on an uncomfortable chair. I still hate that Zoom chat popup and the hints earlier in this thread did not stop them.

I guess it worked different regarding the chat for me. I watched the demo full screen on a Mac and I just had a small box about 1/2” X 2” at the bottom of the screen. It showed the number of chats and Q&As. I could click iyt and it would open if I wanted to read them and then minimize it again. If I couldn’t minimize the chat box that would be annoying.
I liked all the demos and will view each one again in the next two weeks. For me I think it was very successful. Not the same as being there, but successful in it own right. My congratulations to the AAW for making this happen.

Frankly, I like a Zoom meeting "better" than an any other presentation forum. You are able to see well thought out camera placements where you can see hand/tool movements and you just can't do that at an "in person" demo...unless you have video screens setup of the presenter/presentation. As such, you might as well do a Zoom meeting as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly was disappointed, and if they did have another one, the only reason I would attend it is because of the low cost. You get the same from Trent Bosch’s $10 single demos.

Glenn Lucas was great. So was Trent Bosch. Rudy Lopez’s demos are always great, but you can see the same demo on YouTube so nothing new. I cannot comment on Cindy’s demo because I have her DVDs and she did club demos so I was already familiar with her demos and did not attend that session.

Mike Mahoney’s demo was lacking at best. He did a club demo on finishing for us and it was pretty much the exact demo he gave here except he added a quick explanation of how he finishes his work (dip it in oil, let it dry, quick buff etc.)

The slide show and recordings demos are ok topics for YouTube videos, I would not watch them on YouTube either though so I tuned them out and did other things while they ran.

I skipped the 3rd day, just did not see the point of slides and discussions. I don’t know if I missed anything.

Overall, for $20 it is fine. For a symposium it is a D- for me.

I watched them all, and I have to disagree somewhat. Cindy’s demo was great, but Craig Timmerman’s presentation was the best. His organization, flow, format, and explanations where he described the “whys” of his techniques as well as the “hows” was superb. In spite of numerous questions, he stayed focused, relaxed and finished on time. His use of technology was great. None of the others were close. I like Mike Mahoney, but felt sorry for him. Losing his computer notes the night before definitely had an impact.

Roger, in post #7, you speculated about a bread proofing bowl. My wife recently asked me for one, and I quickly turned out the one on the top in this picture. I was quite proud of it until my daughter looked at it and said “aren’t the ridges backwards?” Of course she was right. Instead of being convex, as in a basket illusion bowl, they need to be concave, in order to produce the ridges you want on the bread dough. Back to the shop, and I returned with the bowl on the bottom. 3D1DB37D-EBAF-4B9C-99C1-F81A4C18E396.jpeg

As much of a disruption to all areas of our lives, I think the Covid did give us one thing: the emergence of the Zoom demos. As others have said, I like having the close-up look, managed by the demonstrators who are skilled at them. Somebody else also mentioned how it can be uncomfortable being crammed into a room to see a popular demonstrator and being 2" away from people on either side. And did I mention how nice it was not to have to disturb other people in order to run down the hall for a nature call, trying not to miss too much? In this Symposium, we were lucky to see some people who, good turners by virtue of the selection process, had also perfected control of the technology. I think Cindy Drozda is still the reigning champ at this. Public speaking is a skill to master. Then overlay that with having to attend to your turning - in many cases, intricate or challenging pieces. Pay attention to the sounds of your turning and to what the wood is doing. Oh, yeah, then be aware of what angles might be best for your viewers and know how to manipulate the settings for your cameras and other gizmos. It must be like patting your head and rubbing your stomach while standing on one foot on a beach ball! When it all comes together, it's impressive! Beyond that, we now have the technology for small clubs to have demonstrations by turners whom they could not afford to import, feed, and pay. The only thing you're missing is the camaraderie of other turners. Of course, that's a big loss. I would love to know what the vendors' experiences were for this. The format cut out my usual impulse buying, but I DID give them a good look-over. I don't think the checkbook is quite safe yet . . .

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have to say my favorite part was the woodturning fundamentals tips. Number one was our own John Lucas and then yours truly, LOL Joking aside, it was a big surprise when Wayne Omura called me to tell me he saw me at the virtual symposium. I made it into 2 straight AAW symposiums!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
All of the turning demonstrators did well and had good shows that were valuable to watch, but l I have to give Cindy the crown. She clearly has been giving more of these live remote things and has spent a lot of time working out her videography.

As far as how the experience compares to a real symposium; it doesn't. It was very much like watching a you tube video, but without the pause and rewind ability.
Last time I tried to ask a Youtube video a question in real time I couldn't... Granted, they did not answer a lot of questions, but a few were answered. And Cindy had an extra Zoom session for questions.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
finally finished watching all the videos. Thanks AAW for making them available after the actual event. I did not watch Cindy's because I've seen her several times. All the others were great and I learned something from each one which is why I even go to demos. I liked Glenn's demo of Raffin's bead technique. Raffin came to our club and taught that but our video system just did not pick up the detail well enough. I plan to give it a try now. Also thought Rudy did a fantastic job on the goblet.

Back