• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where can I find one of these scrapers?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
It's been years since I was aware of one of these available, but I'd like to experiment with a scraper made from 1/2" half round stock. If I remember right, the reason I once rejected the idea, was it would be difficult to grind, seeing as how the round side would be facing down on the platform.

Well......I've now come to the point where I'd like to experiment with one of these half round scrapers, but don't know where it might be available, if there still is such a critter. :rolleyes:

I think if one got creative, a special jig could be made that would keep the cutting edge parallel to the Wolverine platform, and overcome the problems I once perceived. ;)

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Thanks

-----odie-----

edit: I'm also interested in finding a "quick change" lathe tool handle that is specifically geared to holding 1/2" x 1/2" square stock. (ie: 1/2" x 12" HSS metal lathe cutter bit ....thx)

Odie,
You could always buy a piece of O-1 drill rod. Think...MSC or McMasterCar (sp).....grind your own shape and then just heat the tip up and dunk in oil. Temper in the oven for an hour.

Doug Thompson may sell round stock.....already hardened.

At MSC, look at "tool bits".....they sell round tool bits, but I do not know the diameter or the length.
Also at MSC....look at "Drill Blanks". Lots of diameters. Not too long though. But, maybe long enough for you to try. The drill blanks are already hardened.
Hugh

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
It's been years since I was aware of one of these available, but I'd like to experiment with a scraper made from 1/2" half round stock. If I remember right, the reason I once rejected the idea, was it would be difficult to grind, seeing as how the round side would be facing down on the platform.

Well......I've now come to the point where I'd like to experiment with one of these half round scrapers, but don't know where it might be available, if there still is such a critter. :rolleyes:

I think if one got creative, a special jig could be made that would keep the cutting edge parallel to the Wolverine platform, and overcome the problems I once perceived. ;)

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Thanks

-----odie-----

edit: I'm also interested in finding a "quick change" lathe tool handle that is specifically geared to holding 1/2" x 1/2" square stock. (ie: 1/2" x 12" HSS metal lathe cutter bit ....thx)

Could you find a picture Odie of the scraper? I second calling Doug, tell him what you need. I'm also interested in seeing how to use a quick release for a square tongue, like a skew. SInce I started using the Stuart Batty, I enjoy removing the handle for sharpening. I'm getting some of the Jimmy Clewes collets to try them out.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie are you looking for this?

Top of second picture here (won't violate copyright):
https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/7474#

Doug Thompson has no illustration but here it is:
http://thompsonlathetools.com/product/12-fluteless-gouge/

Reed has a fine video of the his use of it:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=suRxCxdMn4k

Dougs steel holds an edge long enough to allow practical use. Love it for those really nasty woods and for those hard to reach places where a wide scraper won't go.

Thanks, Lars......for this very appropriate and informative response. :D
Yes, I think the fluteless gouge might be exactly what I'm looking for, with my own twist on how to sharpen it for my purposes.

Could you find a picture Odie of the scraper? I second calling Doug, tell him what you need. I'm also interested in seeing how to use a quick release for a square tongue, like a skew. SInce I started using the Stuart Batty, I enjoy removing the handle for sharpening. I'm getting some of the Jimmy Clewes collets to try them out.

Thanks Emiliano......yes, I think I'll be checking on Doug Thompson's fluteless gouge, and Sorby spindlemaster soon.....:D
Odie,
You could always buy a piece of O-1 drill rod. Think...MSC or McMasterCar (sp).....grind your own shape and then just heat the tip up and dunk in oil. Temper in the oven for an hour.

Doug Thompson may sell round stock.....already hardened.

At MSC, look at "tool bits".....they sell round tool bits, but I do not know the diameter or the length.
Also at MSC....look at "Drill Blanks". Lots of diameters. Not too long though. But, maybe long enough for you to try. The drill blanks are already hardened.
Hugh

Thanks for the reply, Hugh......Yes, I am looking for half round stock, sort of like a half moon shape.

-----odie-----

Odie, Doug's fluteless gouge is round stock ground down to half round in the business end.
The "bevel" can actually be used as such like demo'ed by Reed but a friend of mine grinds his like a trad scraper and uses it as such.
Hope you share your experiments with us - in due time :)

Odie, reference edit. I looked at a website called Banggood because someone posted they had bought something from them. It appears they are a Chinese Amazon. They list a 12mm quick release square shank handle. I have never bought from them, so no idea. It appears to be a valid company based on Mr. Google, but don’t expect 2 day shipping.

Odie, reference edit. I looked at a website called Banggood because someone posted they had bought something from them. It appears they are a Chinese Amazon. They list a 12mm quick release square shank handle. I have never bought from them, so no idea. It appears to be a valid company based on Mr. Google, but don’t expect 2 day shipping.

I've used Banggood for several things.

Shipping is usually from China. Fast is about 7-10 days, normal is 15+ days, but 15-45 is normal. It depends on the size/weight and shipper. Some things do ship from US warehouses and arrive quickly. Check the shipping details for the item to see where it's coming from and their estimate of the shipping time.

I think I comment in the video that there is also a 'Tracy Owens' version of this tool, which was about 1 inch bar stock. He had a right and left sided tool. It does pretty much the same thing as Doug's tools. I have tried them as standard scrapers, and they do work, but the round bottom makes the tool a little bit 'tipsy'. If you are going straight into the wood and keeping the tool square to the surface you are cuttint they are fine. If you are cutting more on one side than the other, then they want to tip over to that side. Not a danger as far as catching because the cutting edge is falling down. I do use my Big Ugly tools for 90% of my scraping, though I use Doug's or D Way's tools most of the time for shear scraping. The Big Ugly also makes a very good NRS, and can be honed to a very fine edge, but maybe not as fine as the other metals.

robo hippy

I like the Big Ugly and often use it for finish cuts. I don't use it for roughing as Reed does but it's a good tool in my arsenal.

Back