• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

UVEX bionic face shield replacement visors........

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
That's a really great price. I purchased the anti-fog/anti-scratch version about two years ago for about $20. (It's showing $27 now). Do you find any problems with the uncoated version?

odie

TOTW Team
That's a really great price. I purchased the anti-fog/anti-scratch version about two years ago for about $20. (It's showing $27 now). Do you find any problems with the uncoated version?

Hey Dan.......:D

I didn't see much difference between the standard lens, and the anti-fog lens. I only had one of the anti-fog lenses when I first bought the Bionic face shield about 10 years ago, and have only used the standard lenses since then. Best I can say, is to do your own experimentation on the value of the anti-fog lens.......but, that has been my experience. :)

Years ago, I did have some trouble with fogging in a previously owned regular style face shield.......but, that was at a time when my shop was only heated enough to keep things above freezing during the winter. These days, my shop heater is set for about 55 degrees when I'm not there, and I don't believe I've ever had a problem with fogging up since then. (When I'm in the shop, I turn up the heat to around 70 degrees, or so.)

-----odie-----

I can't seem to find the thread, or person who recently mentioned he was having trouble getting replacement lenses for the uvex bionic face shield. I just purchased 7 lenses for $49 w/free shipping ($7 ea) on Amazon.

Here's a link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG9R8RG?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

-----odie-----
That was me Odie. After having that conversation, I went and looked again and was able to purchase a couple myself. Hoping they will be here today! Thanks for the heads-up!

@ Dan:
I bought the Uvex/Bionics with a non-coated visor plus a coated extra visor.
Wearing shield plus dust mask plus glasses, I have fog problems with the non-coated version, none with the coated one.

There may be supply problems as I mentioned in another post that my dentist is even using one in her office as a shield with masks and glasses under. They may be needed by the medical profession and this can cause some supply problems.

Stu

odie

TOTW Team
While we're on the subject of the UVEX bionic face shield, I thought I'd show you a modification I recently made on mine. I've been having trouble getting scratches in the middle, right in front of my eyes......destroying the clear lens early. After destroying a new lens with only a week's use recently, I decided to do something about this problem. I found the cause to be my coming in contact with various lamps at the lathe, grinder, debur wheel, etc. What I've done is add a 1/8" stainless steel rod in front of the shield to prevent contact with the lamps......works like a charm! :D

Since either eye crosses sight path at a further distance, you easily forget it's there during shop time. You can see it's there, but it doesn't interfere with normal sight.

(Yeah, that's me, "Capt. Do It Now!"......just my screwball sense of humor! :rolleyes:)

-----odie-----
IMG_6015 (2).JPG

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of the UVEX bionic face shield, I thought I'd show you a modification I recently made on mine. I've been having trouble getting scratches in the middle, right in front of my eyes......destroying the clear lens early. After destroying a new lens with only a week's use recently, I decided to do something about this problem. I found the cause to be my coming in contact with various lamps at the lathe, grinder, debur wheel, etc. What I've done is add a 1/8" stainless steel rod in front of the shield to prevent contact with the lamps......works like a charm! :D

Since either eye crosses sight path at a further distance, you easily forget it's there during shop time. You can see it's there, but it doesn't interfere with normal sight.

(Yeah, that's me, "Capt. Do It Now!"......just my screwball sense of humor! :rolleyes:)

-----odie-----
View attachment 34152

The best part of this site is seeing the problems and the innovative solutions. Odie - yours are the best!!

odie

TOTW Team
I see "Capt." is written on tape and in a different pen. Wondering if you promoted or demoted yourself.
Definitely a promotion, Dave......the "Capt." part was an afterthought, for sure! :D
The best part of this site is seeing the problems and the innovative solutions. Odie - yours are the best!!
TY, Rob......if you look closely, you can see a section of an old lathe tool handle in that solution! :eek::D
-----odie-----
keep on turnin'.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
As long as we're joking around a little......a friend sent me this in an email this morning:

:D-----odie-----:D
icm_fullxfull.265024410_3xnrftlt34sg04wo8co8.jpg

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Hey Odie, that 1/8 rod brings to mind Steve Martin’s glasses fix in “The Jerk”. Hope they don’t make you cross eyed.

-----odie-----
View attachment 34152
If you add a few more of those rods, Odie, you'll be back in your catcher's mask! Batter up.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Odie, thanks for the heads up I just picked up the 7 pack. It’s amazing how much those masks have gone up. It looks like I paid ~$25 each back in 2012 vs $60+ now. Crazy.

odie

TOTW Team
Hey Odie, that 1/8 rod brings to mind Steve Martin’s glasses fix in “The Jerk”. Hope they don’t make you cross eyed.

Yo Tim.......I remember that movie......yep,,,,,,I can see the reference......guess I'm now "the Jerk"!!!!! :D

-----odie-----

Back