• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pro tip (CA glue)

Wear plastic gloves when applying CA glue, or try not to use your index finger. Otherwise you will not be unlocking your phone with your fingerprint for a couple of days. :)

Been there, done that.

Another tip: When you flood a crack with thin CA, make sure it's dry before turning the lathe back on.

Done that one too.

Before working with CA I fill a margarine tub with Acetone which is a CA solvent. When I get it on me I just immerse hand in the Acetone. After use I pour the Acetone back into it's metal can.

Assuming the margarine tub is plastic, doesn't the acetone soften and/or melt it? That's been my experience with acetone and anything plastic.

I remember reading about someone who spilled a fair amount of CA on the running shoe he was wearing. It didn't occur to him that he should get the shoe off immediately. When it did occur to him, it was too late.

I was thinking of making a safety sign for my shop that says "Days since Ric inadvertently glued body parts together:".
It would only need room for a single digit number.

Hi Gary! On a global scale, we're neighbors.

Yep, I live a mile north of Armstrong. I don't do much flat work, so I don't go there much. I have 5 acres of woods, so I supply my turning needs just with the downed trees. Lots of domestic hardwood, except for my two favorites, maple and walnut.

Starbond heavy thin is what I switched to after the thin ca always finding a way to the other side of the blank, and my hand.
I did the same thing. The only time I use the thin is if I want it to soak into the wood, like for a threaded hole in a jig, etc., or if I think it's been too long since I "inadvertently glued body parts together". :p

"heavy thin" ??
I'm not sure if links are allowed? This is it....

Starbond has CA glues in a wide range of viscosities. The thin is so thin it's really unusable, at least in (and on) my hands, but if you have an application that truly needs CA that's thin as water, they've got it. The Heavy Thin is more like other brands 'thin.'

Starbond has CA glues in a wide range of viscosities. The thin is so thin it's really unusable, at least in (and on) my hands, but if you have an application that truly needs CA that's thin as water, they've got it. The Heavy Thin is more like other brands 'thin.'
To get more specific:
Starbond thin, aka Superfast thin EM-02, has a viscosity of 2 cP, almost as low as water which has viscosity of 1 cP. It wicks into cracks like crazy.
The EM-40 Heavy thin has a viscosity of 40 cP, similar to olive oil according to Starbond. I haven't used this.
I like the N/0-05 grade. At 5 cP it is noticeably thicker (to me) than the Superfast thin and doesn't wick as well into fine cracks But I like it because it is odorless...no irritating fumes.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John, why not?
I’ll tell you why I quit wearing gloves altogether

I got the worst burn I got in woodturning when CA wicked under a leather glove with cut off fingers.
I’m a guy that gets burned about every 6 months accidentally testing my chainsaw muffler for hot with my wrist or forearm.
The CA didn’t bond to my skin it just reacted with the moisture in the glove.

A few months later I found that a club member had sworn off gloves for the same reason.

Back