• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sycamore Collaboration

I cored a bunch of sycamore about 6 months ago. This piece was the middle core so by the time I got to turn it thin, it seemed to be warping more with every revolution. Ended up with a very thin band near the rim that kind of threw off the thickness proportion for the rest of the bowl. Was going to just pitch it but just set it aside and forgot about it. Decided to finish it off and let Grandma and a couple of the grandkids finish it off. Except for the thin spot, thickness is just under 3/16" and measures 8 13/16" X 10 1/2". Really warped up nicely. Kids painted it and finished off with rattle can lacquer & wax buffed. Last pic gives a perspective of how well this piece crinkled up.
sycamore2.jpg sycamore3.jpg sycamore4.jpg sycamore5.jpg sycamore6.jpg

If you twice-turn a sycamore vessel you have to be really really careful to leave enough meat in the tenon and vessel for a reshape after drying. Sycamore warps about as badly as any eastern wood that we turn because the tree loves damp areas (best around rivers and streams). I enjoy cutting it green and dry, however, I am rarely satisfied with the look of the finish on any of my sycamore pieces because the wood seems to end up looking greasy no matter what finish I try. Nice work on your pieces. It looks like you had some fun with the warping and the finish.

I hear you on the greasy look finish. Did a NE bowl awhile back and can't remember if I finished it with Watco or walnut oil + 3-step buff. Looked okay but at the same time just not exactly what I was looking for. Here's a pic of the batch or cores from the sycamore blanks from November 2019. When I finally get to them, they will probably all get dyed, painted, burned, pierced or some combination thereof.
Sycamore NE2.jpg Sycamore A.jpg

Oneway. Had the McNaughton but got tired of fiddling around with it. For a weekend hacker wacker like me, the Oneway sort of makes it idiot proof.
sycamoreb.jpg

Back