• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Easy Chuck by Easy Wood Tools

I’m about to squeeze the trigger on buying one of these. I’ve heard and read lots of positive comments on this chuck but thought maybe I ought to see if anyone has any negative comments (other than $) on it.

Thanks in advance.

It is not a bad chuck but I could buy 2 Supernova IIs and 4 sets of jaws for basically the same amount as the Easy chuck and 1 extra set of jaws or 3 Nova G3s and 5 sets of jaws. But I have multiple lathes and an abundance of chucks including Nova, Oneway, Vicmarc, Axminster and Bulldog Chucks. I don't pull a chuck because of brand but what jaws are on the chuck. All chucks mentioned including the Easy Chuck are good chucks but like everything in Woodturning everybody thinks theirs are the best.

I agree with Bill in that I think that all of the chucks that I have used have done the basic job of holding wood on the lathe. As such, "cost" becomes one of the big factors when selecting a chuck. I've bought and used a bunch of different chucks and my advice is to take a look at Hurricane chucks...great selection of jaws at a great price.

I suppose I’m an outlier here, but I can’t understand the rationale for the key feature of these chucks. How much time does the average turner spend changing out chuck jaws...is it really that difficult? Personally, over the years I’ve accumulated a few chucks and a selection of jaws - the jaw sets that I use often are generally already mounted, but if not, changing the jaws doesn’t take more than a couple of minutes...I certainly couldn’t be confused with a production turner, so that 2 minutes isn’t costing me a fortune, and the time to take a break is often used to think through my next step in the process of turning nice timber into piles of shavings.
My advice - save a few bucks and buy the best chuck for the way you turn then keep your eyes open for those opportunities when you stumble across a great deal - new or used - to add to your stable. Why pay extra to solve a problem that may not exist.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I am a Vicmarc chuck fan. I own several aftermarket copies and they just don't hold up and the replacement parts don't fit properly and had to be hand filed to make them work. I looked at the Easy wood chuck but the cost got me. I started out changing jaws whenever i need to. It doesn't take long. Over the years I just gradually bought more chucks which is why I bought the after market copies. I have 3 Vicmarc's and 2 copies. I'm in the process of purchasing some more vicmarc's and getting rid of the copies. I find it really handy when I'm working on a project and need to make another part. I can leave the original part in the chuck so it never gets out of alignment and then grab another chuck and make the new part.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I'm one who doesn't like to change out jaws. I'm hearing it only takes a couple minutes, but it's more like 10+ minutes.....and the disruption in the "flow" of progress is something I'd rather avoid, if at all possible. Matter of fact, my whole shop philosophy revolves around making everything as convenient as possible.......when things flow smoothly, the shop time is so much more enjoyable! :D

I don't have one of the Easywood chucks, but I've often thought if it were available 35 years ago, THAT is what I would have bought. Instead, I now have four Stronghold chucks, and rarely change out jaws. With the Stronghold chucks, I don't have a need for the Easywood chuck. In the long run, it would have been much cheaper to have the Easywood chuck than multiple Stronghold chucks......but, my timing didn't allow that option! :(

-----odie-----

IMO its better to have several chucks with different jaws mounted. Dont own an ewt chuck, but have not read any negatives, other than $. I prefer serrated jaws and I think the ewt only has dt jaws.

It only takes one time dropping a jaw mounting screw onto the floor and spending thirty minutes trying to find it as they go in any direction when they hit the floor.
Having an additional chuck with various jaw sets helps out on more complex turning projects like segmented and multiple stack turnings.
Lathe chucks are always in demand in the used equipment market and tend to hold their value over time. Good trading inventory to have when you wheel and deal with other turners.

I have several Vicmarcs, a couple of Onways, some Novas, and one EWT chuck. (This represents my classroom shop as well as my home shop). The EWT works great, changing the jaws out is a snap, and it's accuracy is as good as any. EWT also has good customer service.

I don’t have the Easy chuck, but have seen positive things about it. I went through that phase of having multiple chucks with different jaws. I had 4 SN’s II, 1 G3, 2 Record, 1 Hurricane HTC125, 1 Barracuda 4, 1 Barracuda 2. The Barracuda’s were my first chucks. I hated the barracuda 4 and sold it with a lathe. The barracuda 2 is ok, but it is direct thread 1” 8 tpi. I use that chuck on my mini lathe. The G3 was also direct thread, but I had more jaw options with the Barracuda 2 and sold that. The saying is buy the same chuck so you can interchange jaws. Well, we end up buying more chucks so we don’t have to change jaws, that is how I ended up with so many chucks. I sold all the Nova and Record chucks with all the different jaws. I now have a Axminister SK100 and SK114. 50 mm jaws on the SK100 and O’Donnell jaws on the SK114. I kept my HTC 125 for large bowl, but do have a set of large bowl jaws for my SK114. I have discovered that I really don’t need a bunch of chucks with speciality jaws. Maybe my way of turning. And I will say there is a difference in quality and precision just like steel in turning tools. The One Way, Vicmarc, and Axminister are the leaders. I could also include the Hurricane as it is a great chuck. There are features to consider. The Axminister has a lot of jaw options, stainless steel body, and three tighten drives vs two on other chucks. Axminister also has the O’Donnell jaws that no other manufacture has. They are direct thread, my preference. The HTC insert is a taper style insert and better than a screw in insert IMO.

I have looked at the Easy Wood chuck ... has some nice features (zoom ring, quick jaw change, etc.) ... I just can't justify the price.

Plus, I have a pretty heavy investment in Nova chucks (a Titan, 2 Infinities, 2 G-3's and a whole slew of jaws, most of which have been retrofitted with Infinity slides). If I was just starting out and didn't have any chucks, jaws, etc. the Easy Wood with a collection of jaws might make some sense. I have never heard of anyone having problems with them.

I think it’s way overpriced, like all of their stuff is. But price aside I still wouldn’t want one because of the limited jaw selection. They don’t have any serated jaws, that I’ve seen, and I much prefer them over dovetail jaws. Mainly so I can just drill out a recess and start turning. I think Vicmarc is a better chuck but I own more from Oneway because of the jaws. I own enough chucks now that I almost never change out a set of jaws but when I do I can change them in about 1-1/2 minutes using a cordless drill.

Packard had them on sale, I was about to pull the trigger and when I went to purchase they were off sale, no go. Maybe they’ll come down in price and think about it again.

looking through the responses, I don't think anyone actually owns an Easychuck. not surprising. Teknatool came out with their tool-less chuck, the Infinity, about 6 years ago but had to discontinue it because they just couldn't sell them. I was lucky enough to get one 5 years ago and love it. In fact, skipping the long story, I now have three of them and a full complement of jaws #1-7 plus a serrated jaw. Despite having three chucks, I find myself changes jaw's frequently and I absolutely love being able to change them without tools in seconds.

But.... word of caution, if you do bite the bullet, make sure you get a complement of jaws asap. It appears that the Easy Wood jaws are unique to the Easy Chuck. The Nova Infinity I own had an advantage in that ANY Nova chuck is compatible with the Infinity using an adaptor. I bought several adaptors and changed over my old Super Nova jaws to make them work with my Infinity. Even though the Infinity is no longer available, I still swear by it and they will last my lifetime.

looking through the responses, I don't think anyone actually owns an Easychuck. not surprising. Teknatool came out with their tool-less chuck, the Infinity, about 6 years ago but had to discontinue it because they just couldn't sell them. I was lucky enough to get one 5 years ago and love it. In fact, skipping the long story, I now have three of them and a full complement of jaws #1-7 plus a serrated jaw. Despite having three chucks, I find myself changes jaw's frequently and I absolutely love being able to change them without tools in seconds.

But.... word of caution, if you do bite the bullet, make sure you get a complement of jaws asap. It appears that the Easy Wood jaws are unique to the Easy Chuck. The Nova Infinity I own had an advantage in that ANY Nova chuck is compatible with the Infinity using an adaptor. I bought several adaptors and changed over my old Super Nova jaws to make them work with my Infinity. Even though the Infinity is no longer available, I still swear by it and they will last my lifetime.

I guess people see and read what they want to see--- As I posted above: I have several Vicmarcs, a couple of Onways, some Novas, and one EWT chuck. (This represents my classroom shop as well as my home shop). The EWT works great, changing the jaws out is a snap, and it's accuracy is as good as any. EWT also has good customer service.

Back