• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I'm what happened?

Is this site really going to go down for more than a week and then just pop back up like nothing happened? I mean at least a little note explaining that something happened would be nice.
I guess because I'm in the tech industry I find this distressing. Perhaps it's not such a big deal in the time frame of trees.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Is this site really going to go down for more than a week and then just pop back up like nothing happened? I mean at least a little note explaining that something happened would be nice.
I guess because I'm in the tech industry I find this distressing. Perhaps it's not such a big deal in the time frame of trees.
Raif, Net Net hosting provider caused all the drama and AAW needed help to get the site migrated to a new server. I offered my help a couple of days ago as I was missing the forums myself. The site is stable for now and I am working with Bill & The corporate AAW folks to make sure this does not happen again.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I knew it would be taken care of so I just visited each morning. If it didn't work I went to the shop and worked. Patience is the key.

Tim, you are correct in a sense, however, a larger scoop would be for a more experienced scooper and I didn't want to endanger the inexperienced. Also, I was thinking along the lines of a boring bar with a long overhang. With a long boring bar with a large cutter you get more resistance and possibly chatter, with a smaller cutter, less resistance and less chatter. Rocky Road throws in its own challenges with the different densities between the marshmallows and the roasted almonds, thus, the smaller scoop. And, being safety conscious I Koutou'ed to the masses.

Well, the scoop and handle are like turning tools and wood. Harder ice cream needs a smaller scoop. Softer ice cream can use a bigger scoop for faster roughing out... A favorite restaurant of mine has a signature desert a "pizookie" which is a fresh out of the oven baked cookie and ice cream. I met one of the waitresses at the local Saturday Market because her boyfriend, a turner had made her a scoop like that one....

robo hippy

@Chris,
Thanks for the work getting the site back up.
What is this site running on? wordpress? something custom? I would imagine that aws would have pretty good rates, it just depends on what software this is.
Thanks
R

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
@Chris,
Thanks for the work getting the site back up.
What is this site running on? wordpress? something custom? I would imagine that aws would have pretty good rates, it just depends on what software this is.
Thanks
R
The site is on XenForo, a fairly popular forum software. Thanks

Back