• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW virtual symposium.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
We got pretty far along with doing a live web cast of a couple of the Demos from Tampa in 2013.
Couldn’t get the bandwidth from the convention center.

there are lots of reasons not to broadcast an event with paid attendees.
Since this years symposium was cancelled hopefully a virtual event can fill some of the void.

The AAW has been very supportive of live internet video with Alan Z leading that effort.
A service to clubs and members.

Last edited:
I think it can be achieved, Alan Z would be my go to to make it happen.

I've been on a few IRD's for wood turning and also some for Shaper Origin.

My wife did a similar one for Weight Watchers, hosted by Opra Winfrey and they had 40K on.

I think the biggest obstacle it handling the demo registration invite process.
Normally at a live event, you have several demos going on simultaneously, so people disperse around the rooms.

Would AAW do the same and have four or 5 IRD's going at the same time? People would have to elect their preferred schedule ahead of the actual event.

The demo's could also be recorded and just shown at certain times, or be available on a pay-per-view basis so anyone can watch them when they want.

The only real drawback is you lose the audience to demonstrator interaction if the IRD is opened up to a large audience on something like zoom.

Anyway, me just thinking out loud.

Many clubs own their own Zoom channel. Clubs donate channel to use in AAW Symposium; voila, you have rooms. Demonstrators fill the rooms during prescribed times similar to the Symposium. Moderator controls the chitchat. Interaction needs to be worked out; maybe question answer at some point. Sounds doable on many levels; nuances and details seem manageable with some smarter people than myself getting into it! We’ve got segmenters (close to my heart), pen makers, Embellishes, panel discussions, etc

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Clubs donate channel to use in AAW Symposium; voila, you have rooms. Demonstrators fill the rooms during prescribed times similar to the Symposium
This is a cool idea. A lot of coordination effort but definitely doable.
It also works with @Chris Edwards multiple demos in a time slot.

Clubs taking a virtual room is a bit of Déjà vu. At the greensborough symposium our club was assigned a room. This was before video, but we had to bring shop vacs, brooms , grinders and supply a room assistant. I think vendors supplied the lathes.

I suppose a Zoom symposium is better than nothing but they better be careful and not price themselves out of a market. I'm not willing to pay much to watch my computer screen all day. I can watch Youtube videos for nothing. I consider the value of the experience is being there in person.

Many clubs own their own Zoom channel. Clubs donate channel to use in AAW Symposium; voila, you have rooms. Demonstrators fill the rooms during prescribed times similar to the Symposium. Moderator controls the chitchat. Interaction needs to be worked out; maybe question answer at some point. Sounds doable on many levels; nuances and details seem manageable with some smarter people than myself getting into it! We’ve got segmenters (close to my heart), pen makers, Embellishes, panel discussions, etc

Clubs do not own a Zoom channel. They join Zoom and have optioins. For graduated fees a room can have as many as 500 seats. Anyone can have a membership , you just sign up. For up to 100 and 40 minute meeting is free and for longer meetings is called Pro HD and a higher fee.

How can I learn of these zoom demos so I may watch?

If you are not already a club member ****JOIN. Also you can subscribe to newsletters of many clubs. If they open the IRD's they do to public will be in the notice. Simple right??

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If my memory serves me well, there were strong opinions that this concept would never work. :)

There are Luddites who won't adapt to change. The rest of the world moves ahead. I'll bet that some cave man upon seeing a wheel said the idea would never get rolling.

These Zoom demos done right are better than any demo I have gone to. If you want to see how something is done it is way better with these Zoom demos. There is no comparison to a Zoom demo and a YouTube video,

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The zoom demo from Cindy Drozda was great.You could see every detail and it was 2.5 hours long and only $10.Should be interesting to see what AAW pricing ends up being.

The live remote demo that Cindy did for our club in February was the best of all the live remote demonstrations that I have seen at my club. This was before social distancing changed everything, but I have no doubt that her interactive remote demonstrations are every bit as good. One good thing about her demo in February is that she sent some pieces to pass around which made it not too different from an in-person demonstration. The only bad thing about the remote demonstrations at our meeting place is that the building doesn't have an Internet connection and it's also in a weak signal area for cellular data.

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
Save the date for AAW's Virtual Symposium, July 10, 11, 12, 2020! Top demonstrators, Instant Gallery, Panels, Auctions, Prizes! More information coming soon!

Virtual-Demo-Possibility-V3-575.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
There are Luddites who won't adapt to change. The rest of the world moves ahead. I'll bet that some cave man upon seeing a wheel said the idea would never get rolling.

Well, you'll never hear that from me... and my abacus.

I'm really excited and hopeful this happens. Do to travel expenses and exchange rates I have not been able to attend a symposium but would sure like to give this option a try.

As Bill already indicated, registration is open. The registration form asks if you have a picture to upload for the instant gallery, and since I didn't have it ready and it wasn't clear if there would be an opportunity to add it later I did not complete the registration, yet.

For the IG critique they are only inviting one photo. Many turned forms can't be displayed well in a single projection, so I'm wondering how that's going to work for a critique. I guess it's the best that can be done on this short notice first try at a virtual symposium.

The details are sparse at this time, so I wonder how the auction is going to work?

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
The registration form asks if you have a picture to upload for the instant gallery, and since I didn't have it ready and it wasn't clear if there would be an opportunity to add it later I did not complete the registration, yet.
I ticked that box and continued with the registration. No requirement (nor opportunity) to upload anything during the registration... So I assume that'll happen later.

Just got through signing up, looking forward to participating. I’ve tried to attend the west coast symposiums in the past, but being retired travel cross country isn’t always an option, so having an alternative is a good way to be able to at least have a portion of the live experience.
With the current covid restrictions it just makes sense. The AAW mission is, in part, to educate. The symposiums provide a way to do that in spades while adding the ability to interact with demonstrators. Virtual symposiums ease the burden of the costs associated with securing a suitable venue for both association and members. I’d welcome the ability to attend virtually for all future symposiums if this provesto be viable.

I suppose a Zoom symposium is better than nothing but they better be careful and not price themselves out of a market. I'm not willing to pay much to watch my computer screen all day. I can watch Youtube videos for nothing. I consider the value of the experience is being there in person.
How's $20.20 sound. for the whole three days.

The demonstration is the intellectual property of the individual demonstrators. Were we attending a real symposium we'd have access to only a subset of those properties, and only once. In this virtual meeting all of these properties are available to all participants and presumably repeatedly. There has to be some limit to access--in this case time--or the intellectual property's value is significantly diminished.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I wonder what the reasoning is to only provide access to the demos for two weeks as opposed to forever?
Agree with @Mark Jundanian

many of the demonstrators make part of their livelihood from teaching, videos, and demos.
Having the demos on line for a brief period is a reasonable compromise that both affords the symposium participants to see the recorded demo without eating into the demonstrator’s future sales very much.

Back